Why Brewing Is So Good!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes having great beer available is good...but for me, I think I actually prefer the interaction you get with other like-minded people. Brewing can, and does, lead to great friendships, often with people you wouldn't normaly meet. The generosity of HBers is also second to none.

Couldnt agree more, espeacially with there knowledge hey Butters???

But also after the Australia's Biggest Brew Day and nearly $3000.00 donated to charities!

+1 there Butters, the brewing brotherhood can be a very friendly place. Especially when you want to geek out on beer talk with out people looking at you strange :blink:

Oh and having kegs of quality beer on tap is awesome too!

Cheers SJ

I agree.

People who brew and talk beer seem to be more relaxed and easy going, I have made some great brewing mates - Some I even ride motorcycles with, and we always end up talking beer before motorcycles :)

I got into brewing in the same way as you O.S.Y. and I'm like a lot of the guys on this site where I can't wait to brew another beer and am always thinking about recipes and mashing temps water vol etc. Then meeting great brewing people and just hanging out drinking great beers and just generally geeking out about beer. Thanks Screwy

I love brewing, it's a hobby, a past-time, a creative outlet and all the while, you are nearly always saving money compared to buying decent commercial beer.

It's can also be a family friendly hobby, my daughter (2 and a half) loves to help where I let her, she insists on smelling every beer I pour and for some reason has a thing for chewing on spec grains (she once grabbed a hop pellet when I wasn't looking and tried that, she wasn't overly impressed). The wife has also become a beer drinker over time and has developed more judging skills than "tastes like beer".

I have to admit, a while ago brewing just seemed like more work, this phase came as I was constantly struggling with poor eff% and with the wife returning to work I could afford to drink commercial if I wanted to. But a mod to my equipment and also purchasing kegs has re-ignited the brewing spark and now I'm just hanging to be healthy enough to brew again....

Personally I find brewing, especially all grain brewing to be a pain in the rear. It's a lot of work and I'd rather develop a hobby in stamp collecting. At least I wouldn't have to eat my own stamps.

Also all the brewers I know are really mean.

I find it funny how people always assume that home brew is inferior to commercial beer.

When you tell them you brew your own, they automatically ask "how much money do you save"? They assume that money must be the only driving factor, based on their experiences of tasting badly made K&K's usually.

I really think that the quality of beer that can be produced at home is an unknown to 99% of the population.

Let's face it, unless you love it, home brewing is a lot of work. If you love it, it's a lot of enjoyment.

I agree.

People who brew and talk beer seem to be more relaxed and easy going, I have made some great brewing mates - Some I even ride motorcycles with, and we always end up talking beer before motorcycles :)

A match made in heaven (as long as the two activities stay separated by a couple of hours). You're not on the ADVrider forums, are you?

I find it funny how people always assume that home brew is inferior to commercial beer.

When you tell them you brew your own, they automatically ask "how much money do you save"? They assume that money must be the only driving factor, based on their experiences of tasting badly made K&K's usually.

I really think that the quality of beer that can be produced at home is an unknown to 99% of the population.

Let's face it, unless you love it, home brewing is a lot of work. If you love it, it's a lot of enjoyment.

+ 1fickin million there Brando. it really shits me when people ask how much I save by making it myself. At work I have only talked to one person who was keen on listening to the efforts and understands the reasons for doing AG. the rest seem to think "Brad likes his piss doesn't he, he makes home brew". they can live in the megaswill world and I will share my beer with people who like real beer.

End of Rant!!

Brad

Absolutely the generosity of brewers is second to none.

It was a brewer on AHB who enabled me to transition to AG (thanks Dicko)

It has been a heap of brewers since who have shared (and continue to share) their knowledge, which is both endless and priceless.

Cheers

Phil

Thats the same for me, DKS got me started on homebrew, and chappo showed me the methods of all grain, without these guys i wouldn't have a great hobby and to reap the rewards at the end!!!! Cheers Guys

brewing your own beer is like growing your own vegies or hunting your meat, it is as much the process as the results :icon_cheers:

I just got to add 4 little things:
  1. When I hydrotest a new beer I am still always excited about how it's going to taste. I get that real clenching of the guts excitment and anticipation. Even after 30 odd AG's and countless K&K's and K&B's it still hasn't worn off.
  2. The brewhood is great and I've never experienced anything like in a hobby before where everybod is welling to help everybody else.
  3. I still love to smerk at myself when I have cracked a good 'un.
  4. I enjoy nay love drinking the wonderful beers of other brewers.
Chappo

What I find most self satisfying about homebrewing, is after mowing the lawn etc on a hot day, having a schooner of one of my beers and finding myself completely satisfied with my own beer that I made it myself. :icon_cheers:
Hey, doesnt your neighbour mow your lawn??? :unsure: I remember him mowing it... :ph34r:

yes having great beer available is good...but for me, I think I actually prefer the interaction you get with other like-minded people. Brewing can, and does, lead to great friendships, often with people you wouldn't normaly meet. The generosity of HBers is also second to none.
Without a doubt, in nearly 16 years of Cooking, I have not met as many buddies as I have in the 1.5years of Brewing that I really get along with, the key point is that we all have a mass interest in what we are doing, whether it is talking about Styles, Beers I/you/others have brewed, techniques, gear, ingredients, recipes, places, brewdays, swaps etc etc...

Also the fact that most brewers are all out there to help you in some form or another whether its selling gear cheap, giving it away, giving advice, having brewdays, organising bulk buys or the like.....

Just this week, ive had an offer to weld up a brewstand for me and just today, someone offered to give up something they bought from someone else and offer me to buy it instead....

Also, everything else other brewers have mentioned before me...

Cheers fellow AHBers

:party: CB

The simple joys
-having 4 beers on tap in the shed
- sharing the love - any decade party with friends (40ths + a couple of 50ths) I've supplied a couple of kegs. Its always gratifying, after the initial "dodgy home brew" comments to see a couple of kegs knocked over in 3 hours, & only then does the megaswill get touched amidst much lamentation about "wish we had some more real beer"
Mark

Hey, doesnt your neighbour mow your lawn??? I remember him mowing it... :ph34r:

I have seriously got to stop brewers from this forum coming to my place for brew days <_< . They spill all me little dirty secrets the blapbber mouths... What ever happened with what goes on ontour stays on tour?

Besides he can cut my grass all he wants he ain't getting me beer. A blokes gotta have priorities! ;)

The hubby was the first to get into the homebrewing (2004/2005)..... he brought home an old kit given to him by one of his workmates. I was not overly impressed or interested in it at the time, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and we put a brew down. I believe it was a draught (Toohey's or Cooper's, I cannot remember), and when it got to tasting time, I was actually rather impressed! I had tasted other people's homebrew and it was awful (uni boys who brewed in clear soft drink bottles who used to store it in the garage on the floor..... not covered or in boxes or anything). After a few brews I was happily brewing beside the hubby :) We have had a couple of years break (due to moving a bit and starting a family), now I am the one who has taken up the hobby with gusto and am looking forward to moving on from kits to AG in time :D

I love everything about brewing- granted I hate cleaning and sterilising the equipment, but in the long run I feel very satisfied when I taste my brews. I love sharing my creations with friends and family. We have put our hands up for making the bevvies for xmas, and I have a few ideas for xmas brews.... including an apricot wheat beer (inspired by Speights apricot wheat beer, I tasted this in 2007 when over in Dunedin on our honeymoon) and one inspired by the flavours of a xmas pudding... I still have some thinking and research to do ;)

It is just about GOOD BEER.
I have had many hobbies over the years.
I have also drank lots of beer over the years in many different countries.
A hobby that ends up being beer???
Doesn't get any better than that.
Along with motorcycles I must admit :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bud

...... My two favourite hobbies are brewing and crochet.... interesting combination to say the least hahahahaha :p

Back