Who's Using An Irrigation Filter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
I'm brewing an APA on the weekend and, as per a previous post, I'm using pellets
to dry hop in the fermenter.
The only down side with that seems to be getting any floaty bits out at bottling time
and an irrigation filter was suggested,

Now i know some people are using one but for what I'm not sure.
So are you using an irrigation filter for racking?
Does it work?

I use one.
If you have a lot of hops in the beer it is pretty good.
It isn't fine enough to really filter filter, yeast and what not, but it works well enough for me.
I use it when racking to secondary and when bottling.

I've used one when racking to secondary before, but haven't for a while, as it tended to just smash any break etc that made it through up into smaller pieces and back into suspension. Might not be an issue. Have not tried it with a really heavilly dry hopped beer yet.

Was also contemplating using it as an inline hop-back of sorts, but only have pellets in the freezer at the moment, so that's been shelved for the time being!

Cheers

I've used one when racking to secondary before, but haven't for a while, as it tended to just smash any break etc that made it through up into smaller pieces and back into suspension. Might not be an issue. Have not tried it with a really heavilly dry hopped beer yet.

Was also contemplating using it as an inline hop-back of sorts, but only have pellets in the freezer at the moment, so that's been shelved for the time being!

Cheers

DITTO

Screwy

Thanks guys.

So you just jam it in the end of some silicone hosing? No clamp?

I just use the 12.5mm Bunnings cheapy hose. Not sure if it's food grade etc etc, but no problems. Fits on pretty tight.

Cheers

Was in the past using one, but now sits in a box with all the other stuff I thought I could use for brewing <_< I am sure a lot of you have such a box of [read useless ] stuff. :unsure:

I used one this morning.

I stuffed it full of some nylon Swiss Voile such as is used for That Brewing Technique then put it inline between NoChillCube's tap and the fermenter. I cube-hopped this beer, so was expecting to filter out any hop material that didn't want to stay in the cube as well as any break material that might be of a similar mind. I slipped a length of silicon hose over the fermenter tap - it also fits nicely over the filter housing without any clamps.

It worked fabulously.

I used one this morning.

I stuffed it full of some nylon Swiss Voile such as is used for That Brewing Technique then put it inline between NoChillCube's tap and the fermenter. I cube-hopped this beer, so was expecting to filter out any hop material that didn't want to stay in the cube as well as any break material that might be of a similar mind. I slipped a length of silicon hose over the fermenter tap - it also fits nicely over the filter housing without any clamps.

It worked fabulously.

Why did you stuff in the swiss voile? Does the filter not work well enough on its own?
Swiss Voile is on special at the moment BTW. :)

I just drop the temp at end of fermentation to 3-5' for a day or 2, which clears up most/all of the dry hops.

cheers

I just drop the temp at end of fermentation to 3-5' for a day or 2, which clears up most/all of the dry hops.

cheers

3 - 5 feet??? Reminds me of this is spinal tap! :)

Anyway ... no fermentation fridge I'm afraid. Doubt I could get it lower than 12 with my cardboard
box and frozen milk bottles. :)

What the hell is Swiss Voile?

Was in the past using one, but now sits in a box with all the other stuff I thought I could use for brewing <_< I am sure a lot of you have such a box of [read useless ] stuff. :unsure:

Bindi,

I have many such boxes, stored in various locations around the property so they dont get labelled as "junk" and heaved into the bin one day. You never know when you will need a thing-umy-jig that you found on the road side five years ago!

ir.jpg
Are these the type u are all talking about?
If not it looks like u could use one of these as an in line Randall that could be left in the fridge?

Steve

Are these the type u are all talking about?
If not it looks like u could use one of these as an in line Randall that could be left in the fridge?

Steve
ummm ... nooo .. I wasn't imagining that! I $10 jobby from the irrigation mechano
that you get a bunnings. Like this ...
InlineFilter.gif

ummm ... nooo .. I wasn't imagining that! I $10 jobby from the irrigation mechano
that you get a bunnings. Like this ...

Thats it! If I can hook up beer line to each end of that thing I will stick it in the keg fridge and use it as an in-line mini Randall. Would it take a plug?

Steve

Why did you stuff in the swiss voile? Does the filter not work well enough on its own?
Swiss Voile is on special at the moment BTW. :)

Nope. I found that the sort of yurk I'm trying to filter out just ran through the mesh of the included filter. Whereas I've made a (slightly) finer filter with the Voile that worked quite well, albeit on just this one occasion. Next opportunity to test it out will be in a fortnight or so - my other NCCube doesn't have a tap in it yet.

Previously, I had occasionally poured the wort through a lingerie wash bag which had a very fine weave and it worked well as a filter bag. I'm happier with this setup though because it is a bit neater (no splashing all over the place) and I can set it up and let it go while browsing AHB or whatever.

Latest posts

Back