Who's Making Toohey's New

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barramundi

Mash or be mashed....
Reaction score
after a long days work yesterday i was a bit thirsty so i stopped at the local bottlo on my way home at 8pm, got a carton of tooheys new longnecks blah blah blah anyway the basis of this story is that i have just noticed on the label it now says "BREWED BY OR UNDER LICENCE FROM TOOHEYS PTY LIMITED, 29 NYRANG ST LIDCOMBE NSW 2141 AUSTRALIA"

so my question is who else is brewing tooheys beer for them ,....

interesting

It is my understanding that TN is made at XXXX now to make room for JS and Hein, could be wrong though.

Cheers, JJ

It is my understanding that TN is made at XXXX now to make room for JS and Hein, could be wrong though.

Cheers, JJ

yeah jimmy, NEW is made at the xxxx factory, saw that for myself while on the tour last year

yeah well that makes sense seeing that they(lion Nathan) now own hieniken and i believe becks , doesnt stop the shops still chargin top money for a "local" product with an overseas recipe....

by JS you mean james squire ?? are they not making that at the malt shovel brewery anymore ???

the new seems to taste different(dare i say it better than b4) now too , perhaps its the QLD water ???

yeah well that makes sense seeing that they(lion Nathan) now own hieniken and i believe becks , doesnt stop the shops still chargin top money for a "local" product with an overseas recipe....

They don't "own" these beers, they are produced under licence and contract. When you buy Becks or Heineken at the bar or off-licence, you are buying Australian beer, made to a European recipe.

by JS you mean james squire ?? are they not making that at the malt shovel brewery anymore ???

I believe that JS is brewed at both locations. They moved some of the production due to popularity and capacity issues. This will really blow your socks off they also brew Kirin at Malt Shovel. :huh:

The amber ale, and I think golden ale are brewed at tooheys, these are the volume sellers. The rest are still brewed at malt shovel, and you can really tell the difference between the 2 breweries.

Golden ale is my favorite out of the JS beers..

Heinieken is brewed in aus and overseas. Some bottle shops advertise the overseas product proudly.

I have to ask, why tooheys new?

I've long had a problem with locally brewed (under licence) beers sold at import prices...

Anheuser-Busch, SAB-Miller et al own most of the world's (mega swill) breweries in one form or another. Most of their shite is produced locally to reduce production costs, not to mention earning them that priceless "brewed locally..." tag.

Look at what we pay for Stella on tap in Melbourne. I was in a shout at The Botanical a few months back and paid $23 for three POTS of Stella :blink: I just about shot the barman.
It's produced locally for about the price of a pot of Carlton Draught <_<

We're all suckers for buying the stuff. I brew for myself, so I don't need to line the pockets of executives in the US, when I'd prefer to churning those savings into my own brewery (not to mention producing a natural product far better than their swill factories are capable of).

If only the mainstream knew how good beer could be...

</rant>
Apologies for the digression...I've had a few and I'm passionate!

You paid $23 for 3 glasses of beer, each containing 285ml?

That's ridiculous, I'd hand them back and walk away.

You paid $23 for 3 glasses of beer, each containing 285ml?

That's ridiculous, I'd hand them back and walk away.

I almost did walk away, unfortunately I was there for a 30th birthday and I was last in a shout. I hadn't asked the others what they were drinking. I stopped drinking after that!

Such shocking yuppie marketing...

Latest posts

Back