Who Uses a Hop Sock/Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a hop sock, have been trying to source a stainless steel hop spider, but it seems stocks are currently low in Australia.

Main reason for using a hop sock is so that the hops can go into the wheelie bin, instead of the garden with the rest of the trub, where the dogs might be tempted. :excl:

Keg hop for the ultimate hop aroma.

I use a hop sock same, or similar as the one Razz uses but a 400 micron, I bought 50 of them (a minimum order)
but they just keep on lasting, I doubt whether I would ever use more than the one.

Licence 012.jpg

I use ss hop spider and just bought a sock as well. I usually pour a few scoops of hot wort in the top, whilst boiling, to help the goodness leach into the wort.

I have a plate chiller and never had any blockage issues even when not using a sock etc. I use brewbrite and also give the kettle tap a purge. It clears any trub in the pipe/tap and I use that 100ml for gravity check n taste.

nala said:
Free style for me when boiling.
One of these for filtering into the keg after free style dry hopping.
attachicon.gif
IMAG0589.jpg

Never get even the smallest hop residue in the keg,just a small voille bag attached to the transfer tube from the fermenter.
Yep, exactly what I do
Never have problems with blocked poppets

I mostly use them, because after chilling I filter out trub; a few dispersed pellets help with that, but a lot of them create a clogging problem .I stir the sack around if the addition is late, but don't worry about that in early additions. For dry hopping I never use a sack.

rehabs_for_quitters said:
Yes the same one, for really small hop additions go for it as they are beaut for that, just shite for large additions according to my brewing
I bought one. Used it once. Then went back to hop socks.

My problems with it were that the inside of the mesh got clogged with hop matter (a medium sized addition, not ridiculously large at all). After pumping my wort out to a fermenter this thing was left still full of wort - that's how badly clogged it was.

And afterwards I couldn't clean all of the hop matter out of it. Gave it several cleans (and tried to remove remnant flakes of hop matter while they were both wet and dry, but couldn't remove it all).

wide eyed and legless said:
I use a hop sock same, or similar as the one Razz uses but a 400 micron, I bought 50 of them (a minimum order)
but they just keep on lasting, I doubt whether I would ever use more than the one.

attachicon.gif
Licence 012.jpg
where did you buy these from?

What is everyone's process for no chill, hops in cube? Do you put them in a sock and remove once ready to ferment or just chuck the hops in cube as are, and then pour into fermenter as well?

eMPTy - I normally get about 50g in each one, then squash them down (keeping the precious elixir) & maintain the same hop variety in each ball during boil additions.

Looked at hop spiders but couldn't justify the cost, & these work great for dry hopping as well.

Just received another few from Mr H Kong & plan to try 4 different Hop Hog Clone versions this long weekend

Happy brewing

time01 said:
What is everyone's process for no chill, hops in cube? Do you put them in a sock and remove once ready to ferment or just chuck the hops in cube as are, and then pour into fermenter as well?
I just throw them in loose in cube. Then pour the whole cube into fermenter. The hops sink to the bottom into the trub.

Goid said:
I just throw them in loose in cube. Then pour the whole cube into fermenter. The hops sink to the bottom into the trub.
Tried that on the last batch. Ended up with hop debris in the airlock/blowoff tube. PITA to clean up. The batch is conditioning so I will see how it tastes. I'm worried it will be a bit grassy as it was Fuggles.

I usually use a hop sock in the boil though. Clean up seems to be easier and I lose less wort to trub so it helps with efficiency. I haven't noticed any issues with bitterness either.

Back