Who remembers Grumpy's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those were the days, waiting on the courier to deliver Grumpy's Partial Kits. Had a few good sessions at Grumpy's in 2004/2005 the forum was a great place too.

Screwy

Haha I do remember the forum. A while ago now. Wasn't a pretty website

The bloke serving the beer in the left pic is Grumpy Thomas....He is still about on the forums occassionally.

He now owns and runs winequip@ Newton.

mje1980 said:
Haha I do remember the forum. A while ago now. Wasn't a pretty website
That horrible olive green background is the reason I wear glasses now I reckon!! Too many late nights staring at the screen trying to get one eye to focus

Would love to have the recipes of the kits

made most of them

I was a grumpy's forum regular as was Jayse, Doc, Pumpy, Ross, Batz, Big Beer Belly (Dicko on AHB?), Ducatiboy Stu and GT who was the brewer there at the time. Great discussions - AHB at the time was quite a close knit community as well. Everyone was learning how to all grain brew, John Palmer's book was the bible and besides the Jovial Monk there were no dickheads to be found.

It really was a great time to learn how to brew. There were no silly questions and all brew equipment needed to be DIY as besides Grumpys and maybe ESB at Peakhurst you couldn't get decent equipment.

Tim said:
Everyone was learning how to all grain brew, John Palmer's book was the bible and besides the Jovial Monk there were no dickheads to be found.

It really was a great time to learn how to brew. There were no silly questions and all brew equipment needed to be DIY as besides Grumpys and maybe ESB at Peakhurst you couldn't get decent equipment.
Yes Tim, Things have come a long way since then mate.

We certainly have a lot more equipment available now, and needless to say a lot more dickheads as well. :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Cheers

Tim said:
I was a grumpy's forum regular as was Jayse, Doc, Pumpy, Ross, Batz, Big Beer Belly (Dicko on AHB?), Ducatiboy Stu and GT who was the brewer there at the time. Great discussions - AHB at the time was quite a close knit community as well. Everyone was learning how to all grain brew, John Palmer's book was the bible and besides the Jovial Monk there were no dickheads to be found.

There was also Pete from Wagga!!

TasChris said:
There was also Pete from Wagga!!
Yes, wasn't he trying to flog mash paddles?

What happened to the Mash Paddle comp? That was the gold standard all grain brewing comp in Australia for a long time.

Tim said:
What happened to the Mash Paddle comp? That was the gold standard all grain brewing comp in Australia for a long time.

The original is gone, I've never entered it since.

Screwtop said:
Those were the days, waiting on the courier to deliver Grumpy's Partial Kits. Had a few good sessions at Grumpy's in 2004/2005 the forum was a great place too.

Screwy
I was full AG at that stage, never did a Grumpy's kit. I did buy my all my grain and hops from Grumpys, that's until Goliaths started up then everything came from them.

Batz

About 10 years on and the marga mill that Thomas modified for me is still going strong. Grumpy s was my initial oracle of brewing info, went there once a few years ago and the brewery was closed until later in the day, and I missed my opportunity to step onto the hollowed turf.

Sorry to dig up an oldish thread. Was at Grumpys just two weekends ago. Grumpy Andrew still runs it, although no homebrew shop. The woodfire oven pizzas are to die for, and the beers he makes are still superb. I was a member of the forum way back then too, good fun. I think spam got hold of it in the end.

I bet he still gets a few people going in there asking for brew supplies too.

Was a regular on their site as well. Great fun. Good bunch of guys. Learnt a lot. Was actually going through my old brew folder yesterday looking at all the Grumpys kits I made back in 05-06. Loved it when the courier arrived at work with my kits. As usual my first was the Boston Cream. Can still remember the flavour now. Would love to try and make that again. So simple to make, a quick 30 min boil. I think from memory Voosher took over doing the kits for a while after the grumpys shop closed. Wonder what hes up to now. I remember suggesting to GT that they should give a prize for their 1,000th order.....guess who won it! Too funny. And ole staggalee only ever got a free grommet. Good times.
Cheers
Steve

Stagalee was a funny man. I remember RayH and his attempts at force carbonation with a soda-stream.

Would love to have the Boston Cream recipe , great brew :icon_drool2:

I got a free fermenter , tight fit on the tap , still going

ps maybe the kilkenny too

also , also , also

I've been around here for a while and took a few peeks at the Grumpy's forums abck in the day.
Seemed like a bunch of good mates there, and less friction than AHB (which was still a lot better than it was to become).
Hell, it was even before I went to ag, and the Grumpy kits were a bit too something for me (maybe too complex or expensive or something else).
Maybe we need a thread to remember all the good and decent members who no longer visit or post here?
Or perhaps a name and shame all the boof-heads who no longer are ALLOWED to post here? (*OK, prob not - lol)

Les out

Latest posts

Back