Who remembers Grumpy's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les the Weizguy said:
Hell, it was even before I went to ag, and the Grumpy kits were a bit too something for me (maybe too complex or expensive or something else).
No....

They where awsome. Back in the day they where what got a lot of us to go AG.

Little bags of hop pellets, cracked grains that we had to boil....

I even remember one post where it was asked if the grain bag was contaminated with "mouse poo"........to which the answer was " Its roast barley you f%#@/*t".....absolute gold

Cube said:
Bum
NickJD.

Too soon?
Cube soon to join them

Just kidding. Hang around for a while

Ducatiboy stu said:
No....

They where awsome. Back in the day they where what got a lot of us to go AG.

Little bags of hop pellets, cracked grains that we had to boil....

I even remember one post where it was asked if the grain bag was contaminated with "mouse poo"........to which the answer was " Its roast barley you f%#@/*t".....absolute goldI remember a
I remember a similar kit from ESB with grain etc. Not sure what it was, but I wasn't too impressed.

Maybe it had to do with the grain boilling (astringency)?

I did love the ESB fresh wort kits though. The pils was grainy and very tasty, brewed with the YeastLabs pils yeast from the now-defunct brew shop in Hunter Street Newcastle (similat yeast to W2124 - Bohemian).

As you can tell I'm not brewing today, as I'm spending too much time hunting YouTube and AHB.

Please don't tarnish our memories of the old Grumpys website in this thread with people who aren't allowed to post on AHB anymore. I for one don't care even though I rarely (once a year) visit AHB.(Actually surprised to hear Bum isn't allowed to post).

Why did Grumpys close the shop anyway. Surely it was a decent business? What happened to GT and Voosher? I seem to remember GT posting on AHB quite a while ago.

I think I remember you Rod. Didn't you move out to Dubbo way? Did I sell you something?

Long distant memory though.

Cheers
Steve

GA suffered a heart attack and had to scale back. GT moved on into the winery world. Voosher and Brad took over the kit side, but I think, from poor memory that they ran it from a different premises. The kit side was never a huge part of the business, just an aspect of it. It was more geared to the restaurant/brewery side of things.

There may have been other factors...but I dont think they need digging up.

The forum gradually suffered from trolling/spam that proved too costly to stop given the nature of the business.

I looked at Grumpy's a few times in my liquid/dry extract days but happily for some I concentrated on AHB. :lol:
Just Googled Oliver & Geoff's which was another homebrew forum ATT & seems like they're still going strong.
I remember a lot of names including yours Steve. :beer:

My brew fridge is still adorned with one of your brewery stickers Pete.
Cheers
Steve

I spent a few nights there years ago, and I was living in the Pilbara WA then, it was a bit of a drive. :p

It was always a great time back then, I remember (or some of it) when Dicko, Jayse and myself booked a cabin in Handorf for the night. We stayed at Grumpy's well after closing time, Thomas drove us back to our cabin, we then drank many of Grumpy's take-aways.
In the morning we drove into Adelaide and I was guest brewer at Goliath's, waked into the shop to see heaps of people. Hang-over to the max, it was the hardest brew I have ever done. ;)

Batz

Yes Batz, I don't think I could have walked up that hill after that session. :chug: :party:

Was that the infamous "Who ate all those baked beans" lets drink heaps of homebrew before sleeping in a small cabin trip....

They used to do a kind of online news feed to their forum with pics included when they there having their monlhy stammtischs.....made us out of staters well jealous. Mongrels springs to mind! LOL.

Yeah I remember Grumpies. Got me brewing their spruced up kits and I was hooked.

Goliaths got me brewing partials, think he was only open about a year though.

The man with the bad beard (Jovial Monk), what was his name? always used to tell me how his chiahawa(?) Jess was going at obidience school. Then Id try and find out what malt's and hops he had and try and figure out what I could brew with it.

Then there was his drill driven grain mill...

Think Jovial Monk closed in 2010.

Thank God craftbrewer opened and someone was doing grain bulk buys.

Cant remember what name I used to post under on the Grumpies forum. I've forgotten and rejoined a couple of times on this one too. In fact I remember someone posting on the grumpies one to check out this new AHB forum.

Thems were simpler days.

Jovial Monk sure was a character. Some of his ideas where....um.......different

Here is my list which I made when buying Grumpy's brews

the list is not all of the brews available as they stopped supplying before I did the lot

I used to buy in $100 lots as shipping was free with >$100

Grumpy's brews made so far

LONGREACH XXXX DRAUGHT
CZECHMATE PILSENER
AUSSIE PUB DRAUGHT
COLONIAL MILD IRISH STOUT
CLASSIC ENGLISH DRAUGHT
DOUBLE HOP PALE ALE
RED STAG 80/- SCOTTISH AMBER ALE
YORKSHIRE TOFFEE
BASS WORTHINGTON WHITE SHIELD IPA
KILKENNY IRISH BEER
STELLA'S PRIDE BELGIAN LAGER
BELFAST GOLD STOUT
GRUMPY”S BELGIAN WHEAT - Hoegaarden Wit
LONGREACH XXXX DRAUGHT
CLASSIC ENGLISH DRAUGHT
BOSTON CREAM
ARKELL'S 3B
COPY OF BELHAVEN 80/-
OLD SPECKLED HEN

I remember that Czechmate Pilsener was a beauty......first lager I ever brewed. :chug:

They were all good though.

I remember ordering 3 or 4 grain kits at a time for the free postage to NSW

The Boston Cream ales were fantastic,

Never went in person....Shame they stopped the home brew side of things

I fondly remember stopping in there on a road trip with my brother, I must have been barely legal.

We bought a stout kit, that we later made and it got us both hooked on homebrewing.

Latest posts

Back