Who Much Liquid Malt Extract Should I Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deluca

Reaction score
Hi there.

Im new to the post. First time, so bear with us if ive ballsed up somewhere.

I was wanting to make an Amercian style IPA and im wanting to do it on me own, no can kits. i was wanting to know how much liquid malt extracts i should use. im wanting to get an OG of around 1056 - 1075, and should i be using just pale malt extract or a mix of pale and dark or light and pale etc. ?

Is there a rough formula to figure out how many points one kilo of extract will add, or is this on the cans?

And then should i add dried malt extract (i was thinking prob around 500-750g light DME) or dextrose (thinking around 250-500g)?

Also are there any specialty grains that i could steep with it, or not bother? and if so how much, what type and how long?

Cheers, i know theres a couple of questions.

Generally a kilo of LME will add around .030 SG per 10 litres batch size.

So to get 20 litres of 1.060 you would need 4Kg of LME.

4Kg in 21.4L = 1.056
4Kg in 16.0L = 1.075
5Kg in 26.8L = 1.056
5Kg in 20.0L = 1.075
6Kg in 32.1L = 1.056
6Kg in 24.0L = 1.075

and so on...

It sounds like you're at the stage where you'd benefit from using one of the computer programs available that will work out all these calculations for you. I use BeerSmith, ProMash is also very popular, and apparently BeerTools is the latest and greatest.

All the best.
Scott

Hi there.

Im new to the post. First time, so bear with us if ive ballsed up somewhere.

I was wanting to make an Amercian style IPA and im wanting to do it on me own, no can kits. i was wanting to know how much liquid malt extracts i should use. im wanting to get an OG of around 1056 - 1075, and should i be using just pale malt extract or a mix of pale and dark or light and pale etc. ?

Is there a rough formula to figure out how many points one kilo of extract will add, or is this on the cans?

And then should i add dried malt extract (i was thinking prob around 500-750g light DME) or dextrose (thinking around 250-500g)?

Also are there any specialty grains that i could steep with it, or not bother? and if so how much, what type and how long?

Cheers, i know theres a couple of questions.

hi, you need points/pound/gallon or litresdegrees/kg ie points /kg/litre information for the malt
typical is 36 points /pound /gallon. us gallons

cheers alan

good questions.... saved me from asking them! :p

Let us know how you went/going.......

good questions.... saved me from asking them! :p

Let us know how you went/going.......
hi,
very roughly you could work out something from the instructions on a can. i.e. 2.8 kg of malt will give an o.g of 1.048 or 48 gravity points in 22 litres. of water. i hear sugar will provide 46 points /pound/gallon.

cheers alan

Back