Whitelabs Ly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akkasoothy

Reaction score
i just opened up my vile off liquid yeast , so i could put it in a starter. i shook the vile up and when i opened it , it started fizzing like a shaken up beer. and it had a funny smell. does anyhone know what this is? is the yeast gone off?

Shaking the vials and releasing the cap fast can have that effect.
I say pitch it in your starter let it do its thing then taste your starter when its done- that will tell you if its ok.

what type of yeast was it WLP???

Franko

No it probably hasn't gone off unless it has really been abused by being subjected to high temperatures. The fizzing is not that uncommon. The smell from a vial of yeast is not always the most pleasant thing. There is really only one way to know for sure and that is to put it in your starter and see what happens. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't all good, but it does also depend on the yeast strain. FWIW, I revived a two-year old vial of WLP022 (Essex Ale) a few weeks ago and have made two beers with it, made up some slants, and top-cropped enough yeast to give to a friend. That is not to say that all White Labs yeasts will be as long-lived. You just have to try it and find out.

ahh thanx for the help , btw it was a pilsner lager yeast wlp8oo. this is my second attempt with liquid yeast , my first attempt was really slow going , (not like a rehydrated yeast) so wasnt too sure if it worked :(

Just on White Labs, does anyone know of a retailer in Perth?

dig, I don't bother with all of those grubby retailers* I just buy them in direct from White Labs. Placed the order on Monday & they arrived Thursday!
Cheers
Gerard

* Apologies to any grubby retailers who may have been offended by this former retailer ;)

* i will confirm that GM is well "grubby"...!!!

How much does the postage cost from White labs?

dig, I don't bother with all of those grubby retailers* I just buy them in direct from White Labs. Placed the order on Monday & they arrived Thursday!
Cheers
Gerard

* Apologies to any grubby retailers who may have been offended by this former retailer ;)

Cheers
Gerard

ESB forgot my last White Labs order, after a phone call they managed to get it to me in a week, short of staff so couldn't get it to the post office. When it arrived there was 4 weeks left of the best by date. Brewers Choice at Enoggera said they were not a mail order store and that the yeast needed to be refrigerated in transit so they couldn't post it to me.

Would love to buy direct but shipping from the states at nearly US$100 for 2 vials is a bit OT.

The Malthouse in Welshpool, Perth.
Kinda fits with Gerard's comment though... and a bit interesting to deal with.

The Malthouse in Welshpool, Perth.
Kinda fits with Gerard's comment though... and a bit interesting to deal with.
Just relating my experiences getting White labs in Perth, a few years ago I attended a talk at a local pub by Chris White which was hosted by the above retailer. After his talk I thought lets give this stuff a go and try and support the retailer as I have always been a Wyeast user so I dropped in to the above retailer to see what he had in stock which at the time was not much at all. I said I was looking for two strains in particular, Burton Ale and Pacific Ale and that no I did not want any WLP001 or 002 as I was already using the wyeast equivalents. I asked when he was ordering again and said I was quite happy to wait until an order was being placed as I have quite easily been able to do with the two suppliers of Wyeast in Perth.

Anyway to cut a long story short I never did get my custom ordered yeasts as it all seemed a bit too hard for said retailer...... tis a pity and probably goes a long way to explain why Whitelabs products are thin on the ground over here.

Back