White Thin Film

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68ann69

Reaction score
i went & made a coopers zephyr to make a westend gold recipe. it was a coopers draught & 100g dextrose. i've never made a beer with dextrose, but you make it with 23 litres of total volume. the og was 1027 & sg was 1008 at 18 - 21oC for brewing temp. It was made on 1/3/07 & i was gonna rack it today but when i took the lid off it had a layer of white thin film on the beer. it doesn't smell or taste off to me, but this has never happened to me before & i was wondering if it has gone off during this hot weather. the thin film is like you get when you cook up a stew & when it is left you get a white film of fat. i got the usual brown stuff around the inside of the fermenter while it was brewing. it didn't smell like vinegar only the usual yeast smell of beer & i did taste it & it didn't taste off. put it this way, i could easily get a strainer & scoop it all out. i had been putting frozen ice blocks around the fermenter to keep it cool. could anyone help me please. i did rack it but all i want to know now, is it ok or should i ditch it.

i went & made a coopers zephyr to make a westend gold recipe. it was a coopers draught & 100g dextrose. i've never made a beer with dextrose, but you make it with 23 litres of total volume. the og was 1027 & sg was 1008 at 18 - 21oC for brewing temp. It was made on 1/3/07 & i was gonna rack it today but when i took the lid off it had a layer of white thin film on the beer. it doesn't smell or taste off to me, but this has never happened to me before & i was wondering if it has gone off during this hot weather. the thin film is like you get when you cook up a stew & when it is left you get a white film of fat. i got the usual brown stuff around the inside of the fermenter while it was brewing. it didn't smell like vinegar only the usual yeast smell of beer & i did taste it & it didn't taste off. put it this way, i could easily get a strainer & scoop it all out. i had been putting frozen ice blocks around the fermenter to keep it cool. could anyone help me please. i did rack it but all i want to know now, is it ok or should i ditch it.

Any chance of a pic?

Sounds like acetobacter that will turn your beer into fizzy fountains of vinegar.

I dunno about acetobacter, sounds like you may have peaked inside the fermenter towards the end of fermentation and got a look at that white head caused by lots of Co2 hitting the surface. Someone put up a pic today or yesterday showing much the same thing. 68ann69, when you smelt the wort did it sting your nostrils ?
PS. Just saw your last post, if it looks like that then you may have a problem.

funny thing is i didn't smell anything different & when i took a reading it was gassy & i did take a sip of it & it only tasted like warm beer to me (yuk). the only smell i could detect was yeast, but that could because i'm a noob. mind you when i took a sip of it, i didn't know what was waiting for me under the lid(lol).

Back