White Rabbit White Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local got it in. just happened to spy it as I was at the counter getting other things.

To my palate this is a lovely beer - there's a hint of mandarin at the finish which I'd guess is the honey mixed with some of whatever hops have been used.

I think the thing I like about both the dark and this beer is that they are both unique (not specifically one style or another) both are quite restrained and subtle but both are full of flavour. It's nice from time to time to experience flavour that isn't a punch in the face.

The white is quite sweet but not overly so and there's a lot of complexity in the beer. My only criticism would be that I find it a little thin and spritzy. personally I like less carbed beers than many anyway but I reckon a touch more body wouldn't go astray.

@ eggs - did you drink it cold or a bit warmer? I can imagine the subtleties being completely lost straight out of the fridge.

Hey Manticle. i had it a bit warmer. probably out of the shop fridge for an hour.
Its been suggested to me that the first batch was not the best, and also that its better on tap.
ill give it another go when im in Healesville next.

Looking at trying this one also. Picked the dark ale over it the other day.

Bought a six pack of it and it's rubbish! :icon_vomit:

The most tasteless microbrew i've had in ages. I had trouble distinguishing any flavour other than a slight honey aftertaste. I can't believe they call this a Belgian Wit, more like a kit and kilo gone wrong!

i had this on tap and was in love, i talked a mate into getting a 6 pak and was in tears ........

i will have it on tap again but never in the bottle

I tried this recently at the brewery, also had the dark ale at the same time. Thought it was just an average german wheat beer. Dark ale is clearly the better of the two.

i have had the white a few times now tap and bottle and while its not a bad beer by any means it is rather underwhelming.it does have a slight wit type of aroma but in the flavour dept it is really lacking. would be a great beer for converting megaswill types though.

i had this on tap and was in love, i talked a mate into getting a 6 pak and was in tears ........

i will have it on tap again but never in the bottle

Hey Gout,

what was wrong with the sixer?

Hey Gout,

what was wrong with the sixer?
i must admit my retardation and say it was dark not white. (both tap and 6pak)

on tap it was full of flavour and brilliant, in the bottle it was bland with little flavour... we did have a home brew (pale ale) then a LC pale ale before it - maybe dulled the tongue but it was just lifeless

Aah, dark. But still disappointing to hear, the dark should be a great follower to LCPA even from the bottle.

Aah, dark. But still disappointing to hear, the dark should be a great follower to LCPA even from the bottle.
I can agree with that.

Also kai, whats LC's affiliation with White Rabbit? Other sides of the county haha.

Had the WA White Ale - this is near on my new favourite beer. I love German Weisse beers (the stuff that the micros here are brewing are all pretty insipid, though) - fantastic taste, really happy with it and I don't feel like I've eaten 10 pounds of bread after a stubby. I also really like the Mildura Stormy Cloud Ale - similar style beer, though quite different.

Both available from Dan's (I live near 3) in Bris-vegas

Grabbed a six of this the other night. Not overly impressed and was put off by the combination of the lactic sourness, spritzy carbonation and very light body. Not really my thing. Hopefully that touch of sourness is on purpose, but I don't find it pleasant without a bit more body to balance.

Don't really think this will be very popular with the "gateway" craft drinkers and probably not ballsy enough for those used to white rabbit punching out the dark (which is one of my fav Aussie beers on tap)

won't be going back for another bottle, but would give it a second chance on tap

I had three of these last night and was pretty chuffed, even if the ultraspritz gave me chronic hiccups twice.

I will be honest that the first bottle had me a little underwhelmed, but it made me go back for a second 'just to make sure'. I definitely found it interesting, like a mini golden strong, with a big load of those juicy apple/pear type esters, but at a supremely quaffable strength.

Good work White Rabbit, there are not many brewers here that can manage the balancing act that your two releases demonstrate. (ED: ...and still have taste - there are plenty of 'balanced' malt beverages on the market competing with their expensive yellowed water)

Tried this beer this evening... mixed bag for me. I found there was a heap of sulphur on the nose which I've never found in a commercial beer before. Other than that it was quite enjoyable - spritzy, quite light, slightly cloudy, bit of honey, interesting.

Keen to try it again and hopefully not get the sulphur.

Tried this beer this evening... mixed bag for me. I found there was a heap of sulphur on the nose which I've never found in a commercial beer before. Other than that it was quite enjoyable - spritzy, quite light, slightly cloudy, bit of honey, interesting.

Keen to try it again and hopefully not get the sulphur.

If any of you are in Newcastle, The Mary Ellen has the dark ale on tap and hopefully will have the white by now too. Not been in lately to be 100% sure tho. Sunday arvo tasting sessions used to happen for a reasonable price too... I agree that the dark is way better from the tap than out of the bottle but that's pretty much the case with any good beer to be fair

Back