White Labs Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatts

Reaction score
Just a question in regards to white labs liquid yeast, when we order yeast on line in Australia is it acceptable for us to receive yeast that is out of date, I wouldn't think so but I was after some other opinions.

Cheers

Only time you should accept out of date yeast is at a greatly discounted price or free is my experience.

Just a question in regards to white labs liquid yeast, when we order yeast on line in Australia is it acceptable for us to receive yeast that is out of date, I wouldn't think so but I was after some other opinions.

Cheers
There is only one answer NO.Did you know it was out of date when you bought it, were you told ? If not send it back and get your money refunded.Wyeast gives a 6 month use by date which I think is generous and I have had no problems with them replacing product which may have been less that perfect. Does White labs offer the same? Yes I do stock Wyeast but thats not the issue here .
GB

I'd contact the the supplier for sure.
I generally offer retailer 2/3 of price if its out of date but has been kept refrigerated.

Do you retailers send the yeast in an insulated containers?

Myself, I'd just use it. However, i'd expect you to be entitled to a refund or exchange.

Do you know whether it's a Best Before or a date of manufacture? If it's the latter then you should be fine unless it's well and truly out of date

White labs yeast is printed with the date it should be used by, it is manufactured 4 months prior to this date. I have used pitchables that were more than 10 months old and had no problems, though I must admit the 10 month old smack packs I have done along side them are always much healthier!

In my experience, storage conditions are more important that time. I use White Labs yeasts and get the big 7bbl pitchable jugs flow out from San Diego. They take only a day to get to Sydney and then up to ten days to clear quarantine and trundle their way across the country. In summer, they can be in pretty bad shape by the time they get here...

Of the three I use, 001 is pretty bomb-proof, 007 tends to hold up pretty well and 400 has the most trouble being shipped.

Latest posts

Back