Whirlpooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be asking a dumb question here, but do you guys chill the wort first before whirlpooling, then drain it to the fermenter? Or are you all using counterflow chillers?

Cheers - Snow.

prior to chilling Snow for me

Rook

Julez,

I have a 60L flat bottom kettle, no false bottom, hop screen, scrubby, etc.

This is my kettle 10 minutes ago after whirlpooling and draining. Clear run off, no trub. I use my mash paddle and stir for around a minute.

Cheers.

View attachment 17973

I would say thats essentially exactly what my ketle looks like after 30 seconds of whirpooling with a straining spoon.
mines a 40L Ali vessel though.

Snow, i whirpool at flame out.. before racking to the NoChill cube.!

Oh....I haven't quite turned to cubism yet :ph34r:

But if I'm using an immersion chiller, wouldn't the chiller mess up the trub cone?

I used to have an immersion chiller, and I'd constantly stir while chilling to speed up the process. Once I removed the chiller, I'd give it another good stirring, then let it settle. I'd have a nice cone every time.

Julez,

I have a 60L flat bottom kettle, no false bottom, hop screen, scrubby, etc.

This is my kettle 10 minutes ago after whirlpooling and draining. Clear run off, no trub. I use my mash paddle and stir for around a minute.

Cheers.

View attachment 17973

I'll get my theroys coat and ask it to leave nicely. :D

I whirlpool in the boiler before running thru a CF chiller - works fine.

Careful not to aerate though when hot of course.

Cheers
Simon

I recirc with the return valve fully open through the plate chiller for the last 10 min of the boil to sanitise the chiller, then turn off the heat allowing the wort to whirlpool in the kettle for 15 mins before throttling back the return valve to a trickle then turn on the water to the plate chiller full bore. After about 20 min when the temp of the returning wort drops to below 30C I switch the return to the fermenter and slow the flow a little more, usually have wort in the fermenter at around 25C depending on the temp of the swimming pool water pumping through the plate chiller.

The pickup tube collects from the outside (opposite to the trube) and leaves 2L in the Kettle.

Back