Whirfloc ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew186

Reaction score
Used 'whilfloc' for the first time last night. added 1 tablet in last 15 mins of boil then poured kettle into fermenter + 10lt of extra water, cooled it in ice bath then pitched. this morning it looks like there is a massive snot in the middle of my brew (see photo attach)

Will this settle out, or have i done something wronG?

cheers

whirlfloc.jpg

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I understand that the Whirlfloc causes stuff like proteins to precipitate out of the beer that would otherwise remain dissolved. If left dissolved in the beer they can cause haze and flavour stability problems down the track. Once they precipitate out, they can sink to the bottom and are left behind. It does look to me like that is what is floating in your beer. The yeast activity may be stirring it up a bit. Personally, I cool my brew down while in the kettle then rack it off into a fermenter and most of this stuff is left behind. I'm not certain what effect it has when it remains in there for fermentation (I'd guess it would be minimal), but once ferment stops and you let the beer settle down it should drop down to the bottom again so you can rack off the beer and leave it behind.

Wow, a floating carboy B)

Seriously though, the quality of your pic isn't so great but that looks like hot break to me, I'm assuming its not yeast.

Whirlfloc coagulates proteins so they form bigger lumps so they don't get syphoned into your fermenter. When coupled with whirlpooling, whirlfloc is quite effective at delivery a clear wort - providing you don't suck all of the break material into your fermenter.

Did you whirlpool?
Did you leave the break material in the bottom of your kettle?

talking of whirlfoc. I just now kegged a beer that I didnt add it to (normally at 15 mins) and its as cloudy as buggery. I know I just forced carbed it and its usually a bit cloudy but from experience its usually clearer than this one when pouring the few glasses. I wont not add whirlfloc again. Off to search the cupboard for gelatine.
Cheers
Steve

Wow, a floating carboy B)

Seriously though, the quality of your pic isn't so great but that looks like hot break to me, I'm assuming its not yeast.

Whirlfloc coagulates proteins so they form bigger lumps so they don't get syphoned into your fermenter. When coupled with whirlpooling, whirlfloc is quite effective at delivery a clear wort - providing you don't suck all of the break material into your fermenter.

Did you whirlpool?
Did you leave the break material in the bottom of your kettle?

Yes that is hot break in the carboy. I just poured the kettle into the fermenter about 15mins after flame out.
What is whirpooling?

I think this is what I need, I allways get chill haze like buggery.. I thought Polyclar was the only way to get rid of it?

What is whirpooling?

At the end of the boil, and after you have chilled your brew, stir it in a circular motion for a minute or two (don't splash), and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. The hops and break material will tend to form into a cone in the centre on the bottom of your kettle.
Then drain the kettle, taking care to drain from the side and to leave the hops and break etc behind.

I think this is what I need, I allways get chill haze like buggery.. I thought Polyclar was the only way to get rid of it?

I dont think whirlfloc will get rid of chill haze reviled. Polyclar does it well though.

I dont think whirlfloc will get rid of chill haze reviled. Polyclar does it well though.

Isnt it the Proteins that cause chill haze? Does Whirfloc not get rid of the proteins?

Im hesitant to use Polyclar cos I dont filter, and im too impatient atm to wait 3 days and then rack it off :rolleyes:

Whirlfloc is basically dried seaweed (Carragheen or Irish Moss) so maybe it swells up a bit as well while it is doing its coagulating job.

Whirlpooling is just stirring the pot so the wort is wooshing around in a circle, that causes the trub to collect in a little hill in the middle of the kettle away from tap or syphoning point. Try it in a large mug with tea leaves and you'll get the idea.

In full size breweries it's a big deal because they have to invest in pumps and paddles and wheels etc but for HB it's just a bloody big spoon so no problems. Polyclar is a PITA because you have to stir it for 20 mins but works great, especially if you have also cleared the beer with gelatine first.

For my imminent AG brews I intend to use all three, whirlfloc, gelatine, then Polyclar as I won't be filtering and intend to go into comps next year so need clarity.

Hey Reviled, Polyclar is really cheap, recommend you give it a go.

Cheers

Edit: If Polyclar is used strictly to directions, the effect is usually 'instant' - I usually let the beer warm up to room temp overnight and bottle immediately. The tiny amount of polyclar (PPV) that settles to the bottom of bottle or keg is no problem. It's a widely used chemical and totally neutral. If you have taken an Ibuprofen painkiller recently you'll have PPV going through you right now, and it's probably in your hair conditioner as well if you use one.

Whirlfloc is basically dried seaweed (Carragheen or Irish Moss) so maybe it swells up a bit as well while it is doing its coagulating job.

Whirlpooling is just stirring the pot so the wort is wooshing around in a circle, that causes the trub to collect in a little hill in the middle of the kettle away from tap or syphoning point. Try it in a large mug with tea leaves and you'll get the idea.

In full size breweries it's a big deal because they have to invest in pumps and paddles and wheels etc but for HB it's just a bloody big spoon so no problems. Polyclar is a PITA because you have to stir it for 20 mins but works great, especially if you have also cleared the beer with gelatine first.

For my imminent AG brews I intend to use all three, whirlfloc, gelatine, then Polyclar as I won't be filtering and intend to go into comps next year so need clarity.

Hey Reviled, Polyclar is really cheap, recommend you give it a go.

Cheers

Edit: If Polyclar is used strictly to directions, the effect is usually 'instant' - I usually let the beer warm up to room temp overnight and bottle immediately. The tiny amount of polyclar (PPV) that settles to the bottom of bottle or keg is no problem. It's a widely used chemical and totally neutral. If you have taken an Ibuprofen painkiller recently you'll have PPV going through you right now, and it's probably in your hair conditioner as well if you use one.

Hey bribie, with the Polyclar, have you ever used it, let it settle out, then just transferred out of the fermenter via the tap? Or do you really HAVE to rack it off of the Polyclar?

Hey bribie, with the Polyclar, have you ever used it, let it settle out, then just transferred out of the fermenter via the tap? Or do you really HAVE to rack it off of the Polyclar?

I usually use Polyclar in secondary so by the time I have settled out in secondary, gelatined then polyclared, then allowed to get back to room temp I bottle straight out of the secondary vessel. The last few brews have ended up so clear at bottling time they just have a slight haze. Then by the time they are carbed up (with a small amount of yeast reculturing in the bottles) there's hardly any sediment and what Polyclar there is mixed in with that sediment, it isn't a worry IMHO and never gets as far as the glass.

I usually use Polyclar in secondary so by the time I have settled out in secondary, gelatined then polyclared, then allowed to get back to room temp I bottle straight out of the secondary vessel. The last few brews have ended up so clear in the bottle they just have a slight haze. So by the time they are carbed up (with a small amount of yeast reculturing in the bottles) there's hardly any sediment and what Polyclar there is mixed in with that sediment, it isn't a worry IMHO and never gets as far as the glass.

Thats a point, im kegging, but it would just drop out in the keg, most likely below the dip tube...

Hmmm, may have to get some when I make my next order..

At the end of the boil, and after you have chilled your brew, stir it in a circular motion for a minute or two (don't splash), and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. The hops and break material will tend to form into a cone in the centre on the bottom of your kettle.
Then drain the kettle, taking care to drain from the side and to leave the hops and break etc behind.

thanks

Maybe slightly off topic but...

Using whirlfloc for the first time (usually use koppafloc and/or brewbrite), is one tablet enough for a 40l batch as the labeling on the packet states, seams low by about half by my reckoning.

Smashin :D

Im hesitant to use Polyclar cos I dont filter, and im too impatient atm to wait 3 days and then rack it off :rolleyes:
You can simply add it to the keg if you want, I've done that on a number of occasions now. The constant stirring, letting it sit for days etc is to get the maximum effectiveness from it. I take a few shortcuts sometimes due to lack of time and simply ferment, cold crash for a day or two (only takes 20 seconds to adjust a fridge mate!), mix polyclar and hot water and stir, sanitise the keg, stir polyclar again and add to the bottom of the keg. Then I just transfer the beer into the keg (which mixes with the polyclar), connect the gas and either rock to carbonate or let it settle for a day or two. Within a day or three it's pouring clear, which would otherwise take about two weeks cold conditioning.

a little of topic but saves starting a new thread:
i added whirlfloc to my brew yesterday but forgot to whirlpool it was a dark beer. So it wasnt till i got near the end of draining the kettle i noticed id sucked heaps of gunk though lol.
Does whirlfloc have any negative effects on the beer if lots of it gets through to the fermenter. Its a 8+% doppelbock as well so im thinking its better in there than a clean lager. I also no chill if that makes any difference.
Can always run it through a hopsock into the fermenter i suppose. Just curious really :blink:

Latest posts

Back