Which Smack Packs To Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
hey guys

Got two extract recipes on the go at the moment and am not sure which Wyeast smack packs to order for them.

1: Fat Yak clone with Cascade and nelson sauvin
2: Boh Pils with cascade bittering but mainly Saaz

Any suggestions/experences would be appreciated

the first one I'd go with would be 1056 for your APA. The second has many choices and I've only used 2206 but found it ok.

I am really impressed with the Wyeast Urquell 2001, its a fast finisher/worker, low-none diacytel. Doesnt over attenuate and a few brews have turned out tip top
Wyeast Czech 2278 is my cracker bo-pils yeast, very similar to the Urquell.

Fat yak no idea.

Go wyeast1272 for the Fat Yak. It might not get you an exact copy but I would be willing to venture it'll make a better beer.

I'd go 1056 & 2038 but the 2487 (wlp833 equivalent) is reputed to be very good with a malty finish.

I'd also make sure to be super clean and harvest those little beasties for re-use.

Sorry for OT, but could you share your Fat Yak recipe?

Fat Yak

3 kg LDME

.5kg Carapils
.1kg cystal 270

20g Cascade @ 60
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 45
10g Cascade @ 45
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 10

10g cascade & 20g Nelson Sauvin dry hopped

This works out at 46 IBU, which is a bit high for a proper Yak clone, but its for my brother who asked for a bit more than standard

And im still thinking about yeast

Fat Yak

Go the 1056. Probably the most versatile yeast there is. Have a read about it at sponsors site or Beersmith or Google or search AHB.
Cant go wrong with this one, suits many styles.
Daz

Click on "Flavour of the week" in "The brew shed "

Fat Yak

3 kg LDME

.5kg Carapils
.1kg cystal 270

20g Cascade @ 60
15g Nelson Sauvin @ 45
10g Cascade @ 45
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 10

10g cascade & 20g Nelson Sauvin dry hopped

This works out at 46 IBU, which is a bit high for a proper Yak clone, but its for my brother who asked for a bit more than standard

Might want to swap 500g of the LDME for sugar / dex to avoid a high FG :icon_cheers:

Back