Which Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention something.

Interesting Brewjohno what you say about the model at the LHBS, I have a feeling that his stock is old and is not the same as what keg king are doing. Only 2 meters of line and I had a look at the regulator and it looked like one of the real cheapo jobs.

I asked about the dual Tap font that he was selling on the counter ($140) and he said it was the same as supplied with the Keg Master, dont know how that works because the fridge alone is $499.

Anyway, looking forward to my visit to Craftbrewer this Saturday and hopefully have the system up and running next week.

Cheers,

A quick check of the Keg King price list shows the double font for $59.95 and the triple for $79.95. This is course without the taps.

As stated I ordered 1 extra flow control tap and the triple font. The plan when I get the time is to remove the double font and then use the 2 normal taps it came with, left and right, and the flow control on the centre of the triple font.

I also got the 1 micron beer filter system I use from Keg King and and very impressed with that as well.

Brewjohno.

The unit I have does not go down to the displayed temp. When the temp is showing 2 C it is actually 4.6 C and the little unit is flat out coping at that.
I also bought the Pinnacle version and found the same, the temp does not match the LCD display and the motor seemed to be running most of the time. This was in a garage mind you. It might do better inside a cool house.
After a little while I went back to my trusty fridge with the taps in the door.

Brewjohno, this might be a coincrdence but you dont know Adam Daff by any chance (golfing mate of mine), he said he had a mate who's wife bought him a kegerator. Just thought I would ask, small world and all.

Wadey

Sorry no connections. I'm not so lucky as to have the wife offer to buy me one. I had to negotiate terms around my tax cheque.

Brewjohno.

No what you mean mate, its been a stuggle but got their in the end, mind you I dare say I will pay in the long run.

Off to Craftbrewer tomorrow to pick up the kegerator, will be making the most of it.

Wadey

I think that most of the kegerators are made in the one factory in China.

The importers 'slap' their logo stickers on them and sell to the public.

I bought a 2 keg unit nearly 2 years ago as the 3 keg unit was almost double in price. 3 months later the 3 kegger was the same price as what I paid for the 2 kegger. Bought that one too...as I wanted a 3 kegger.

They both came from the same factory. The 3 kegger has a KegKing sticker on it. I've got no complaints about either one. Both work great. The latest 3 kegger from KegKing has a few modifications over mine. Great buy IMO. And cheaper in price than what I paid 18 months ago.

If you were to buy a fridge that can accommodate 3 Cornys, and buy a font, 2 taps with fittings, beer/gas line, disconnects and a drip tray, you'll be paying a lot more than the current price for one of the kegerators. Then you have to drill, mount and secure everything.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers

I think that most of the kegerators are made in the one factory in China.

The importers 'slap' their logo stickers on them and sell to the public.

I agree 100%.

I had the version from the KegKing delviered to my door.

The box had been opened and re-sealed and so I made the courier wait whilst I opened it up and before I signed for it.

I had also had a few complaints from mates that theirs had been scratched/dented in transit.

When I opened it I saw that there was some blue sticky contact down the front of the stainless door to help protect it.

This had been peeled back to just below where the KegKing had slapped his sticker in.

It was obvious to me that they open the box, peel back the protective layer, slap on the sticker and then seal the box back up.

Further evidence to this was when I wanted to alter the taps from the normal to the flow control.

This was not possible as it was fully factory sealed up. I had to buy the taps as extra and got 2 pacels delivered. I the big fridge and the 2nd was the flow control taps and some other little extras.

Brewjohno.

Off to Craftbrewer tomorrow to pick up the kegerator, will be making the most of it.

Wadey

Well mate how did you go.

Just pulled a beer from my Kegerator and was wondering how you got along?

Brewjohno

Hey Guys.

Thought I better give you an update, sorry I have been totalling consumed by getting this kegerator setup.

Anyway, picked it up from Ross last Saturday and I must say I got a great deal off Ross, and upgraded to the Krome Double font.

Just filled my first keg up tonight and put it in the kegerator to chill overnight.

Bit nervous from here on in, going to try and force carbonate tomorrow night, Ross explained it to me but being the first time I dare say something will go tits up.

I have some questions about the Regulator workings if someone can help out.

Once I force carb, then the final step is setting the reg to 70kpa, do I turn the gas bottle off and then only turn back on when needing to pour beer.

BTW, force carb method that Ross explained to me is:

Chill Keg overnight
Set Reg to 300kpa
Set keg on the ground and rock for exactly 30 seconds, turn gas off at bottle
Stand upright for a few minutes, then purge
Reset Regulator to Serving pressure of 70kpa
Continue to rock holding onto the non return valve until it stops vibrating.

So, thats what I am going to do, wish me luck. Although I am wondering whether I go the set and forget method by just setting the pressure at 70kpa and leave for few days, but that would mean leaving the gas on I assume and as Ross said that could be a expensive way to find out I have a leak.

Wadey

The other option is to chill the keg, set the regulator at 70kPa (or whatever your pouring pressure is) then shake the keg until no more gas goes in. The best way to do this is probably to roll the keg on the floor with a slipper on your foot... aka the Butters method.

Set and forget will probably need at least a week or sometimes longer to get up to full carbonation in my experience.

You can leave the gas on at 70kPa once the keg is ready, or if you're worried about leaks then just hit it with some gas when it starts to pour slowly.

I force carb and get very good results with it.

I am a professional musician and music tutor - i use a metronome. The musicians on the forum will know what i'm talking about.

I set it at 120bpm, and shake chilled keg "in time" for 1 minute at around 250-300kpa then turn off gas and continue shaking until gas in line has all gone into keg. Your gas bottle pressure dial will indicate this as empty.

I burp the keg (beer goes everywhere so do it outside) then give the keg a rinse with water so i don't get beer residue all over the outside of my keg.

Then repeat the process.

Hook back up to gas at around 8psi to serve and she's usually pretty spot on to where i like it. Sometimes needs a bit more gas. Sometimes needs a bit more burping of keg. Usually right on the money though.

I force carb because i'm too impatient to set and forget. Never tried it. My method works for me.

I only turn my gas on when the pour starts to get slow.

I have twice done my entire gas bottle overnight with leaks.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I will force carb tonight and let you know how things went, cant wait to pour my first beer, might be a sicky coming on Friday.

Cheers,

How'd you go Wadey?

I am just hooking up my beer fridge to font ( hooking beer like to the tap barb has driven me mad) and i thought ahhh would be nice to have a kegarator all set.

like to hear your feed back on the system

cheers

Back