Which Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long time reader, and 3rd time poster. I am currently moving into an inner-city apartment for various reasons, and while space is at a premium, I refuse to give up my homebrew. So i'm looking for a nice kegerator, and am looking for some suggestions.

I've looked at the Keg King and Keg Mate style ones from Pinnacle that are built from the Euro-grand fridges with the blue LED display and I like these since they can hold 3 kegs. Of course I'd have to get a 3 tap font to match the 3 kegs, but I'm really looking for suggestions from you the experts that frequent the forum here. :)

I already have some kegs and a 6.8KG cylinder with a dual TeSuCo regulator - and I also have a brumby tap and single TeSuCo reg that I might find a use for some day...

What would you guys recommend?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Guys,

Long time reader, and 3rd time poster. I am currently moving into an inner-city apartment for various reasons, and while space is at a premium, I refuse to give up my homebrew. So i'm looking for a nice kegerator, and am looking for some suggestions.

I've looked at the Keg King and Keg Mate style ones from Pinnacle that are built from the Euro-grand fridges with the blue LED display and I like these since they can hold 3 kegs. Of course I'd have to get a 3 tap font to match the 3 kegs, but I'm really looking for suggestions from you the experts that frequent the forum here. :)

I already have some kegs and a 6.8KG cylinder with a dual TeSuCo regulator - and I also have a brumby tap and single TeSuCo reg that I might find a use for some day...

Cheers,
Matt

Not much to add other than to say go with a 3 keg model, especially seeing as room is limited, can have three on tap or one or two on tap and other/s carbonating.

I am currently moving into an inner-city apartment for various reasons, and while space is at a premium, I refuse to give up my homebrew.
t.gif

Screwy

Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Matt

I've got limited space here, and use a Keg mate branded Euro-grand that fits three kegs. I only have two beers on tap, but I split my gas line three ways and carbonate the third keg. My only complaint it is that it's relatively noisy compared to a reasonably modern Westinghouse fridge I have in the same room. Not super loud, but noticeably; might not be great if you're in a studio and you're a light sleeper let's say. Small complaint though!

Cool thanks for the suggestions guys - Nick - your right next door at St Peters - I'm moving in to Erko..

Cool thanks for the suggestions guys - Nick - your right next door at St Peters - I'm moving in to Erko..
This area of town must be becoming brewers Central moved into Erko 3 weeks back myself. Have my kegs in a chest freezer still trying to figure how I am going to go about mounting taps, so far leaning towards going to bunnings and building a hood.

My only complaint it is that it's relatively noisy compared to a reasonably modern Westinghouse fridge I have in the same room. Not super loud, but noticeably; might not be great if you're in a studio and you're a light sleeper let's say. Small complaint though!

Would have to agree on the keg king units being noisy, but love mine all the same. Not a bad option for the price (all things considered).

i've had the kegking one for the last year and a half, very happy with it, and agree can be a bit noisy

it fits 2 kegs and a 6.8kg co2 bottle inside with some spare room for a six pack and a few bits and pieces

i want to upgrade to a 3 tap font, and downsize to a 2.6kg gas bottle so i can fit 3 kegs and the gas bottle inside,

i dont want to hijack, but there are currently 2 different types of 3 tap fonts on ebay, if anyone posting on this thread has any comments as to which of the 2 is recommended, i'd be happy to know, thanks and good luck with the move

Beware the Chinese fonts, apparently the castings on the inside can be a bit rough, producing nucleation points and they can pour a lot of foam.

i've had the kegking one for the last year and a half, very happy with it, and agree can be a bit noisy

it fits 2 kegs and a 6.8kg co2 bottle inside with some spare room for a six pack and a few bits and pieces

i want to upgrade to a 3 tap font, and downsize to a 2.6kg gas bottle so i can fit 3 kegs and the gas bottle inside,

i dont want to hijack, but there are currently 2 different types of 3 tap fonts on ebay, if anyone posting on this thread has any comments as to which of the 2 is recommended, i'd be happy to know, thanks and good luck with the move

Any reason to put the gas inside? I always have mine at an angle in a room corner and keep the bottle/reg outside, gas line goes through the dedicated hole.

PHOTO1KEGERATORSmall.jpg

PHOTO9REGULATORSmall.jpg

Any reason to put the gas inside? I always have mine at an angle in a room corner and keep the bottle/reg outside, gas line goes through the dedicated hole.

PHOTO1KEGERATORSmall.jpg

PHOTO9REGULATORSmall.jpg

i dont have mine at an angle, its butted right up into the corner and therefore nowhere to hide the gas bottle apart from inside, thats the only reason

Is there a way to easily run multiple gas lines in? I have a dual reg and would like to have different styles on tap (ginger/ hefe and stout and ale all at once for example)

bribieg - thats exactly what I want - which font is that? Does it interfere with kegs inside at all?

I ask because I have read that the Andale fonts protrude inside the fridge and reduce the capacity to two kegs.. which is quite ironic (adding a three tap font only allows you to hold 2 kegs!)

Is there a way to easily run multiple gas lines in? I have a dual reg and would like to have different styles on tap (ginger/ hefe and stout and ale all at once for example)

Split them on the inside.

but that would defeat the lovely twin regulator I bought :(

Sorry, my bad. Can't really answer but there's definitely a way to do it. Always a way.

Is there a way to easily run multiple gas lines in?

Yeah, grab a drill bit slightly larger than the gas hose.

Drill hole, insert hose and if desired seal it up with silicone/rubber.

Could even get fancy with some plastic bushes to prevent damage to the gas line.

Yeah thanks for that advice codge.... how about you come around and do it for me ;)

I was actually wondering if there was any secondary holes to run the lines through rather than taking to my new fridge with a drill

Thanks everyone for their advice. In the end I got a Keg King series 3 from my local homebrew shop. (www.thebrewshop.com.au)

They had it on special which made the price the same as the eBay ones by the time postage was added. I've just finished the assembly and am waiting a few hours before firing it up since I had to transport the sucker on its side (was only for 15 mins or so)

I'll post some pics once its in its new home.

Thanks again for the advice guys :)

Beware the Chinese fonts, apparently the castings on the inside can be a bit rough, producing nucleation points and they can pour a lot of foam.

This seems to be the problem I'm having. Put my one micromatic on the worst of the two taps might buy another one.

I'd go for a 2 tap font and split your gas line 3 ways using John Guest tees or 3way splitter. use the set and forget carbonation method. that way you'll always have a carbed conditioned keg to hook up when one blows. If pouring from all 3 when one blows you'll be hooking up a flat warm keg.

Oh and check the holes on the flange of the font if buying a chinese one, mine didn't fit my kegerator and needed some modification.

Just ordered my three tap font and flow restrictor taps. Woohoo.

Only one thing - the kegerator came with John Guest Tees but I cant figure out how to install the things! Is there a how to guide floating around or something?

Back