Which Caramel Grain To Be Used...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey

I'm just writing up a brown ale recipe atm and was wondering which specialty grain would be best to give a nice caramely flavour and amber/red colour?

I had a look at craftbrewer to see which steeping grains i could use and found caraaroma, caraamber, carared, caramunich, and crystal. Just wondering which grain people prefer and for what reason?

P.s Ill also be using pale chocolate and carapils, with cascade and fuggles (bit of an american meets english brown ale)

Sponge

English Crystal. Lovely Brown flavour and colour

I've used britsh dark crystal in small amounts for a while now in my bitters. However not long ago i tried caramuncih 1. It gave great aroma and full flavour. Next bitter i'll probably just use caramunich, no crystal. I have found that when using a lot of crystal, i get a "sharpness".

Personally I love caramunich II, and now use it as my crystal type malt of choice, in place of standard british or aussie crystals.

A little less cloying and more subtle.

Caramunich II, with a small % age of Carafa II makes a nice light combo.

If you are using melanoiden malt it should be mashed with some base malt to get the best results.

Latest posts

Back