Which beer would you brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrots87

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm brewing tomorrow and originally I was planning on brewing a basic all amarillo golden ale recipe (pretty much a DrSmurto's Golden Ale):

Amarillo Golden Ale

ABV: 4.87%
IBU: 27.34

1.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (50%)
1.25 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Light (41.7%)
0.25 kg - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (8.3%)

15 g - Amarillo at 60 min, IBU: 10.92
20 g - Amarillo at 30 min, IBU: 11.19
20 g - Amarillo at 10 min, IBU: 5.28
25 g - Amarillo Dry Hop for 5 days

US05 (1 pack)

I've been brewing a lot of fairly simple APA's lately which have all turned out pretty nice, but I think maybe it's time for something a bit more full on so I'm thinking it might be time to have my second go at an IPA. I still want the amarillo to dominate the flavour and aroma but I was thinking of throwing in some galaxy to add a bit of complexity:

Amarillo Galaxy IPA

ABV: 6.94%
IBU: 64.15

2 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Light (50%)
1.25 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (31.3%)
0.5 kg - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) (12.5%)
0.25 kg - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (6.3%)

20 g - Warrior at 60 min, IBU: 22.36
30 g - Amarillo at 30 min, IBU: 14.34
20 g - Galaxy at 15 min, IBU: 10.33
30 g - Amarillo at 15 min, IBU: 9.26
20 g - Galaxy at 5 min, IBU: 4.15
30 g - Amarillo at 5 min, IBU: 3.72
40 g - Amarillo Dry Hop for 5 days

US05 (2 packs)

Firstly, what do people think of the IPA recipe and can you suggest any changes? Secondly, out of the two above, which beer would you make?

Which one? That's easy. Brew the one YOU like better. You're going to be the one drinking it.

Glot said:
Which one? That's easy. Brew the one YOU like better. You're going to be the one drinking it.
Lol, yeah I'm about 95 percent sure I'll be making the IPA. Wasn't really asking people to tell me which one to brew, just which one they think sounds nicer on paper (which admittedly could factor into my decision making process). And more importantly if there is any changes they could suggest to the IPA that could make it better.

Brew one now, brew the next whenever.

Not your first or last brew ever.
Have fun dude, that's the most important thing.

I'd brew the Golden Ale because I've just done an IPA and haven't done a Golden for a while.

Thanks Yob, why dropping the galaxy? Do you think it may overpower the amarillo?

It is more dex than I would normally use, (preferably I'd use none) but I wanted to up the ABV without having a really high FG that I get with using all extract.

Yep, will dominate, you really want Galaxy as a hint, not the main player IMO..

For an IPA you want plenty of body, the half kilo will dry it out a bit much to my tastes. Add extra malt.

:party:

Ok, I've added another 250g wheat malt and reduced the dex to 250g. Calculator is estimating an FG around 1.016 which sounds ok.

I knew galaxy was overpowering, just didn't realise how much. I've mostly used it with citra which I also find overpowering so I guess I just haven't noticed. I'll drop the 15min addition to 10g and add more amarillo to compensate for the ibus. Hopefully 140g of amarillo won't get dominated by 30g of galaxy.

Latest posts

Back