Which BBQ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The area to be decked is largely shaded so not so worried about the expansion, though I will look into it.

I havent had a gas bbq for the last 5yrs, weber all the way!
charcoal is the best and doesnt take long to get going, when i say charcoal i dont mean those heat bead things they take longer.
Unfortunately charcoal is hard to get here in perth for good price.

but when i build my alfresco i may put a ng bbq in, might! Seen one of those turbo rq things and it looked impressive

go real wood for decking to, not hard to put some oil down once a year and like you said its in the shade.
mate had modwood shit and oils from foods would stain it

The trouble with timber I'm that area is because of the shade and trees, it'll be prone to mould growth and rotting, fucked if I'm giving up brewdays to sand, oil etc, time is a fair premium as it is.

Older modwood was prone to some issues which I'm assured have been dealt with (missus is a building designer and has done decks for clients recently and they love it) as long as it's installed correctly, issues should be minimal.

As for stains, I've read a bit of a gurney after a BBQ and should be ok, shit, it's a deck after all, a bit of life in or on it is to be expected :)

Yob said:
Ha.. Cunny funt
Thanks lads, plenty to go on here.
Leaning towards the Q but will go have a look and see what I fall in love with.
Cheers
If you do decide on the Q go the family model as the model below it has only one burner, I am lead to believe, and does not get as hot as the family.

With a Weber Q you need to follow the cooking instructions to achieve a great result.

If you are a bloke that wants to stand at the Barbie and constantly turn an fiddle with the meat then a Weber Q is NOT for you.

I have the family Q and I bought a Baby Q for caravan and picnics etc.

Best barbie I have ever had.

dicko said:
If you do decide on the Q go the family model as the model below it has only one burner, I am lead to believe, and does not get as hot as the family.
It does only have one burner, but it gets pretty bloody hot. The biggest reason I regret not going the Family Q is the space on the hot plate. The 220 is great for cooking dinner and even small gatherings, but when we have larger gatherings I'm cooking in batches. Plus the lid isn't high enough to do a beer-can chook.

dicko said:
If you are a bloke that wants to stand at the Barbie and constantly turn an fiddle with the meat then a Weber Q is NOT
for you.
Yep, forget what you think you know about BBQing. These things are not designed for blokes who like to fiddle with their meat while they are cooking lunch.

I've got a 5 burner beefeater, cost me around $1200 from memory maybe 5 years ago. To be honest it's about as good as the $200 4 burner I had before that (I think it was one of the barbecue galores cheapies). It does look nicer though.

This year I've bought myself a kamado charcoal smoker and cooker, since getting the kamado my beefeater is used to cook snags and that's about it. Charocal flavour for the win. Get yourself a looftlighter (bunnings for about $40) and you can be up and cooking on the charcoal within 20 mins. Similar to the amount of time I needed to preheat my beefeater anyway.

If your set on gas I'd also probably vote for the Weber Q.

Prince Imperial said:
Yep, forget what you think you know about BBQing. These things are not designed for blokes who like to fiddle with their meat while they are cooking lunch.
Tell that to Cocko... boom tish

these weber q's must be something else ha?
need to see one in action

For well under a G you could get a Weber Q and a Webber kettle and have the best of both worlds. They would look pretty schmick built in side by side.
I have had a Webber Q for a couple of months and love it. Heaps quicker than a normal BBQ, uses much less gas and is constructed of Stainless (burners) and Aluminium (body). The last BBQ I had rusted out within 3 years (tropics) so this was a major consideration.
The taste of the food is much better too as the smoke is convected around the meat.
If you go the Q make sure you spend the extra $30 to get the top of the line Family Q as it has a higher hood and a temp gauge.

Droopy Brew said:
For well under a G you could get a Weber Q and a Webber kettle and have the best of both worlds.
If you go the Q make sure you spend the extra $30 to get the top of the line Family Q as it has a higher hood and a temp gauge.
Just talking about this with a workmate, will probably end up with both :)

If your set on gas I'd also probably vote for the Weber Q.
I've had a Webber Q for about 4 years and wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

We bbq a lot in my family (3-4 times a week)

I think any reasonable hooded bbq would be better than a Webber Q

Was rapt when we first got ours but the drawbacks were immediate (I didn't have a say in it), no rotisserie, no solid plate (for cooking soft foods like eggs, fish fillets etc) and the plastic side flaps are useless for any thing, just flex down and your stuff falls off unless it is very light.

They don't like wind when it is cold (have trouble heating up and staying hot)

The burner needs to be cleaned with welding cleaner tips if you use it a lot as the holes a quite small and will block after time and only has one burner

My hood is all corroded and the paint is flaking off

For the dollars you spend on one I Know I could buy something a lot better

It'll look great when it's finished, mate.

Just my 2c....I'd definitely go charcoal/wood, purely for the deliciousness factor.

And you mentioned a pizza oven in the future. Maybe it'd be worth reinforcing a corner of the deck with a couple of extra supports ?

They can obviously get pretty heavy with all the sand and bricks etc.

Yob said:
(missus is a building designer and has done decks for clients recently and they love it) :)
Would u like to buy a franchise for decks Carports etc .. I have one for a god price :)

niftinev said:
I've had a Webber Q for about 4 years and wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

We bbq a lot in my family (3-4 times a week)

I think any reasonable hooded bbq would be better than a Webber Q

Was rapt when we first got ours but the drawbacks were immediate (I didn't have a say in it), no rotisserie, no solid plate (for cooking soft foods like eggs, fish fillets etc) and the plastic side flaps are useless for any thing, just flex down and your stuff falls off unless it is very light.

They don't like wind when it is cold (have trouble heating up and staying hot)

The burner needs to be cleaned with welding cleaner tips if you use it a lot as the holes a quite small and will block after time and only has one burner

My hood is all corroded and the paint is flaking off

For the dollars you spend on one I Know I could buy something a lot better
Gday Nev,
It would appear there are quite a few who would disagree but its good to hear varied opinions. Ill take on board the bit about cleaning the burners though.

Most of the issues you raise have been accounted for (maybe since you had yours?).
You can get a rotisary complete with hood extension- something like $200 I think.
You can get a half plate- cost me $70 but havent needed to use it yet.
The side flaps on mine are great- no flex. Perhaps a recent improvement.
Building one in will remove issues of wind affected heat loss but to be honest every BBQ ive had experiences this.

ZGTGRK_SML.6992.png

Obviously not the size yob would need but I bought one of these a month or so ago. I originally went to purchase a Q2, but was told this one is better (yes i know its BBQ galores own brand) because it has the two burners and is hotter when wanted. It did cost more than the webber and I also bought a half plate as well. I have used it at least five nights a week since buying it, also took it camping. I did have to change how I use a BBQ but the food has been great. This is 7 german sausages 150g each.

20140927_120457_resized.jpg

Go for a Kamado style BBQ! (or an original, if you can spare the cash).

Grill, smoke, pizza like a pro, and if you go top end, it'll be so pretty the Mrs will even love it.

Downside: takes 6 people to move it

Here's a nice side by side with a gas BBQ setup

Built-In-Kamado-3.jpg

And here's one of the original styles (a bloody big one)

Kamado_Shay-744549.jpg

I bought a cheapie steel one from Bunnings called an Acorn, and all I want to do is upgrade to a ceramic one now! Really love what it does for a BBQ, roasts, slow cooked ribs etc.

You can't have too many cooking options...
Had a weber family Q for many years and it has been the best gas bbq I've owned ( nearly all my rellies now have one after seeing mine in action, )
I also have one of these ( picture not mine as currently building my outdoor area, including a 1m brick wfo )

Primo_XL.jpg

The primo cooks better than gas, but takes a little bit longer to get organized.It also cooks pizza way better than a gas bbq. Had to replace the seals with ceramic tape as cooking pizza at @ 350-400C burnt the original ones out.They are great for slow cooking, smoking etc.

Nick R said:
Go for a Kamado style BBQ! (or an original, if you can spare the cash).

Grill, smoke, pizza like a pro, and if you go top end, it'll be so pretty the Mrs will even love it.

Downside: takes 6 people to move it

Here's a nice side by side with a gas BBQ setup

attachicon.gif
Built-In-Kamado-3.jpg

And here's one of the original styles (a bloody big one)

attachicon.gif
Kamado_Shay-744549.jpg

I bought a cheapie steel one from Bunnings called an Acorn, and all I want to do is upgrade to a ceramic one now! Really love what it does for a BBQ, roasts, slow cooked ribs etc.
Not sure the budget is stretching that far Nick.. fecking bling though.. all it needs is a Cobra Font :)

Latest posts

Back