Which BBQ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
I said it was >, I didn't say it was practical.
Would personally love a w/f pizza oven, but currently have:
- 4 burner gas bbq for ease
- kettle weber for roasts, etc
- Hark smoker for low'n'slow

I think suggesting adding another bbq into the mix would go down about as well as a case of syphilis

aussiebbq is a good forum, spent some time there, except now i have 4 different types of BBQs...

i have a Weber Q only used when in a rush or when im lazy using gas, but now mostly use my Hark smoker, either for long slow cooks or quick cooks over charcoal in the firebox, nothing beats charcoal in my opinion.

Will be upgrading to one of these one day http://grillpro.com.au/category/yoder-offset-grills-and-smokers/

I won't be any help

I have the gas 6 burner
Gas rotisserie
Gas pizza oven and
Offset smoker that when I'm serious is also a charcoal BBQ rotisserie

I've used a few, masport is ok, stainless is not the best (some spots, but neglected a little). Had various kmart ones, and used others'. Bought a second hand weber genesis off ebay for a song. Best purchase ever. Genuinely so good to cook with. I went to clean it up, called weber and a number of the parts I needed were sent under lifetime warranty. Just brilliant service and product :)

Lots of votes for the Webber in there.. Lifetime warranty is hard to knock.

Thinking hard about the options, Cherrs lads..

Walked past this at green shed the other day, looks good. Father in law has a matador and it's a good bbq....

Not sure if this one is worth the 2K$ But similar piece at BBQ galore is 5K

http://www.bunnings.com.au/matador-wels-4-star-7-5l-min-6-burner-entertainer-outdoor-kitchen-_p3180366

I have a WFO and a 5 burner next to it and am very happy with the set up., would love a sink out there... See pic

image.jpg

I've had a S/S, 4 burner Beefeater for 9 years, still going strong.

We get some bloke to take it apart and give it a thorough clean every 2-3 years, brings it back almost like new. I can't see it wearing out any time soon.

I have tried a few over the years and last buy I wanted to go an all stainless [Brewing influence I guess] and my old man had had one once...

Rang him from the store to ask about it - "Do NOT go stainless grill plates, they do not get hot, it is that simple - Get a Webber, mate"

So I did.

Webber family Q - best thing I have done. You need to change the way you cook on them a little but when you get it, you cannot go wrong, mate.

In short - Webber Q gets my vote every day of the week.

5.5 pence.

EDIT: Never met someone who was sorry they went a Webber.

Do the cookers detach? As in, if I build this thing with a set down, can the cooker be removed and placed off stand?

Are you talking webber?

If so, The stand screws to the cooker 'capsule' so yes, but you will be dealing with the curved under side for a build in.

All the smaller Q's just sit on a stand so they can be taken to a park or a like but the family is attached to the stand but again, only by screws, you could use it stand alone if you had something else to sit it on.....

I don't say this lightly, for me, getting the webber Q was like going AG, once I worked it out I would never look back - Similar, not saying basic BBQ's [Partials] can not produce the goods just sayin...

1.2 yen.

Just to throw another option in the ring.

Primo Oval Xl

Does your steaks, pizzas and smokes as well. Not cheap but an awesome unit.

for me, if its gas, you may as well cook it on the stove.

Charcoal and wood adds another dimension to the flavour of meat.

Get into it.

Cheers,

+1 for a weber-Q, I've got the size down from the family-Q (should have gone the biggest) and it kicks the shit out of any other gas BBQ I've used. Charcoal might have that special something, but it's a PITA to light & heat up etc. when you want to grill a quick steak for dinner. There's a reason people don't say "now we're cooking with charcoal".

Ha.. Cunny funt

Thanks lads, plenty to go on here.

Leaning towards the Q but will go have a look and see what I fall in love with.

Cheers

Webber and a pizza oven?

Also avoid that mod wood stuff. A mate is a chippy and informed me that that product will expand 10mm from morning to afternoon. Every day. In short he has seen it pop screws during the day as it expands/contracts.

I've got the Weber Q but really only use the charcoal bbq these days. You just can't beat the flavour of charcoal once you've worked it out...you'll never get a steak to taste as good (but of course the quality of the meat plays a big part too).

I fire up the charcoal bbq with one of those "starter chimneys" that I place over a "Rambo burner" for a few minutes. You can be cooking on charcoal in the same time the gas one takes to warm up.

MetalRooster said:
I have the Turbo Elite 4 burner from BBQ's galore. not cheap but I absolutely love it, best BBQ i've ever had. My old man recently bought one as well and he is super happy too. Mine is about 3-4 years old now, but the new ones have these weird looking RQT burners - old man has these and have to say if I could retro fit them I would! more even heat distribution and self cleaning.
I also have the turbo elite but with the RQT burners. It's great and keeps everything juicy on the inside. You still get a great flavour because the quartz vaporises any fats and the smoke ads flavour. Bugger all flare ups is also nice. Stainless throughout is bling and the thing is built like a tank! The grill is also stainless and though it takes a little longer to heat up it does get mighty hot.

I noticed you said you were thinking of using mod wood, personally I wouldn't advise it.
A couple of reasons,
1. It gets so hot you can't go barefoot unless you want to bbq your feet
2. It flexise more between each joist than timber, doesn't feel solid underfoot.
3. It's not that hard to apply a coat of decking sealer once a year and it dill look so much better

Back