Which 3 Roller Mill Is Better?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trying to decide between these mills. Feel free to add comments with your vote

• CrankandStein 320D - 3 roller (with stainless upgrade) $440 + P&H

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monster Mill MM3-2.0 - 3 roller (with stainless upgrade) $449 + P&H

• Millmaster - 2 roller (with stainless upgrade) $369 + P&H

• Total voters
Valleymill

I don't think they are still making/selling mills.

Cannibal,like others have mentioned you probably do not need a 3 roller.Plenty of 2 roller mills that will do what you want. But if that is what you really want go for it.
I like the MALTMILL http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm but am probably prejudiced because I have one.

cheers
johnno

I don't think they are still making/selling mills.

cheers
johnno

No they haven't made mills for ages johnno, just shows who has been brewing for a while. I know Darren, Doc, GL and I own one.

Batz

l] but am probably prejudiced because I have one.

haha first one to admit it here - not often the case on any of my hobby forums. everyone says 'this is the best' but fails to mentions its also the only thing theyve used <_< :lol:

I never said the Valley Mill is the best, only I have one.

Batz

I never said the Valley Mill is the best, only I have one.

Batz

But they are the best, and I've seen a few at work. ;)

Batz

A new mill is going into place here at Beerbelly very soon.....and it's going to be a Mill master. I've been using a Crankenstein 3D (non stainless rollers) for about a 3 years now and I think it's had it's day. The crush was fantastic to begin with, but of late we have been having issues with it not pulling the grain through reliably, so every now and again with some grains it just sits there spinning the driven roller but not the passive one. Complete pain in the ass, and I don;t seem to be able to remedy it. I wasn't particularly impressed with the build quality when it arrived either to be honest, considering what it cost.

So I'm about to build a complete new mill stand around the new Millmaster hoping it's up to the job for the next few years (which I'm sure it probably will be). I'll most likely be using a 1/4hp motor that has a reduction box dropping it down to 103rpm to drive it, just like the crankenstein. It has a huge amount of torque but if that doesn't shift it I'll put a 3 phase motor on it :lol:

haha I didn't mean to upset anyone here, I was more referring to people on other forums I frequent...its much more apparent on them. R/C forums in particular... anywho, back on topic (kind of)

Wayne: I think in one of the epic millmaster threads someone hooked up a 250W 24VDC motor chain driven down to about 100-150rpm and said it started on a full hopper no worries. I'm sure if you have a proper cap start motor itll be no worries. My 3/4hp cap start is complete overkill lol, but that's just how I like it... I might buy a monster mill just to feed through the millmaster so I can watch and cackle evilly at the sheer POWER! :super: :beerbang:

That said.. I really wanted the stainless one when I got it but couldnt bring myself to dish out for it (minister of finance yada yada). I'm hoping one day Frank will let us buy the SS rollers by themselves, even though he said they're not available at the moment...

Would love a MillMaster, but at the time I was buying, a Monster Mill (admittedly a "seconds" model with about 2cm of one roller double knurled) landed for $102 was the bargain of the century for myself and Kram. I just drive mine with a cheapo Ozito drill from Bunnings. No issues here, gap set to 1mm (backed it off from .9mm after a couple of stuck sparges).

Not sure how attractive they are at the current exchange rate, but an option worth considering as the MillMaster is not a cheap investment!

Cheers

...and it looks like that piece of brain is a very small piece at that Warren, smaller than the turd my dog just did but with about the same IQ level. I guess you keep your girly hair long like that to hide the circumcision scar??

Nice one Smurf... Be sure to wear a hair net with your new purchase. ;) Then again I doubt it will get caught in the search function.

Warren -
{who found a mill without a forum holding his hand}

No they haven't made mills for ages johnno, just shows who has been brewing for a while. I know Darren, Doc, GL and I own one.

Batz

Actually Batz, I just bought a millmaster. The Valley was a great mill for its time, and has given me a great crush. I wore out several bolts with my drill on the driven roller which tells you something. But, I think like all non geared mills, the knurl has become so worn after years of operation that I really struggle to get it to pull the grain through. It would probably only take an o ring to get the other roller to spin, but for high volume applications I think a geared roller has to be better.

Worth noting though, that the keyway size and grain in gears issues havent been addressed at all so it isnt going to work straight out of the box.

My vote goes for the 2 roller monster mill, works mint as! I recently got one for $250NZD landed where as the mash master was gonna be like $459NZD landed!!!

Latest posts

Back