Which 3 Roller Mill Is Better?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trying to decide between these mills. Feel free to add comments with your vote

• CrankandStein 320D - 3 roller (with stainless upgrade) $440 + P&H

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monster Mill MM3-2.0 - 3 roller (with stainless upgrade) $449 + P&H

• Millmaster - 2 roller (with stainless upgrade) $369 + P&H

• Total voters

Cannibal Smurf

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a mill and narrowed it down to the two 3 roller mills listed above. I included the Millmaster 2 roller because I know a lot of you use it and the more I check it out the better it is looking, although I'd prefer 3 roller so I only have to do a single pass through the mill.
Please list the pro's and cons if you currently own, have previously owned or even used any of the above.
I'm currently leaning more towards the Monster, but it's also the only one that isn't geared <_< . As this will be a one-off, long term purchase I really want to get it right so all constructive comments are appreciated.

I'd definitely go the Millmaster. I went through the same thing as you, except I'd already bought the millmaster and nearly sold it to get something else. Some reseach led me to believe that having both rollers driven is better for you than an extra roller.

I only ever do one pass through my mill and have recently been getting 85-90% efficiency with zero lautering problems, I don't think a 3roller would be much improvement at all.

I use the Millmaster CS, but not the s/s job. If you end up buying one you wont need two passes. Only problem is trying to motorise, it needs a lot of torque to spin it at 200 or so rpm. Good luck.

Hmm, it will definitely be motorised. I'm pretty sure the CrankandStein 3 roller is gear driven. But both the 3 roller mills have bushes, not bearings...so another + to the Millmaster
How much grunt does it take to motorise one of those suckers? (Millmaster) I can't afford a massive inline 12 cylinder deisel engine like Sammus

Marga has plastic bushings, no bearings.

Mine died after about 350 to 400 kilos of grain.

Now have the millmaster, only go one pass. No problems.

Do power it with a 1/3 HP motor at a 7 to 1 ratio, 1400 RPM motor, so mill is going 200 RPM.

Made a gate at the bottom of the hopper so I can load the hopper and then start the mill.
Couldn't start it full, stalled the motor. Now just slide the gate open while it is running works great.
One could just start it and then fill the hopper, but I like to fill it while it is not running.

Cheers,
Bud

Hmm, it will definitely be motorised. I'm pretty sure the CrankandStein 3 roller is gear driven. But both the 3 roller mills have bushes, not bearings...so another + to the Millmaster
How much grunt does it take to motorise one of those suckers? (Millmaster) I can't afford a massive inline 12 cylinder deisel engine like Sammus

lol I ended up spending about $310 (courtesy of krudd) to motorize mine aline, but bear in mind I spent $229 on a brand spankin motor. I got a compton 920rpm 3/4hp (550w) motor from a place in adelaide. I got the pulleys (one of them a custom job) from Australian Pulley Co. in windsor, $80 for both pulleys (1.25" and 10") and a belt. Runs the mill at roughly at 115rpm

I made my table out of scrap wood. This thing has so much torque its not funny, it can start on a full hopper and it doesn't even flinch in the slightest, even with real hard grains like wheat I didn't notice it slow down or anything like that.

Whoot a mill gallup poll... Sumfin' new. :super: {sarcasm}

Warren -

...and it looks like that piece of brain is a very small piece at that Warren, smaller than the turd my dog just did but with about the same IQ level. I guess you keep your girly hair long like that to hide the circumcision scar??

dog turds(yukk), girly hair (of all things) and circumcision scars (where do i find them)

He could have said something along the lines of, this has "been done to death" DO A SEARCH! or get a private room!

Thanks Haysie, much better but I did DO A SEARCH, MAYBE YOU SHOULD TOO BEFORE YOU YELL AT ME MATE, IF I DIDN'T DO A SEARCH HOW WOULD I KNOW ABOUT SAMMUS INLINE 12 CYLINDER DEISEL ENGINE POWERING HIS MILLMASTER????. unfortunately the comparison between the two mills I specified hasn't been done and as more of brewers are buying mills lately digging up old threads is only going to provide me with old information. Also.. if YOU do a search there is nothing recent I could find relating specifically to the MM3-2.0, only the 2 roller monster mills.

edit: removed the bogan reference as i didn't want to offend the rest of the bogan community

I'd definitely go the Millmaster. I went through the same thing as you, except I'd already bought the millmaster and nearly sold it to get something else. Some reseach led me to believe that having both rollers driven is better for you than an extra roller.

I only ever do one pass through my mill and have recently been getting 85-90% efficiency with zero lautering problems, I don't think a 3roller would be much improvement at all.
Mate I have to agree totally the MM is the way to go.Ive done the rest now Im going to buy the best = MM
GB

2 roller mill is more than what you need

MM would be the pick...it will out last your grand kids :icon_cheers:

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a mill and narrowed it down to the two 3 roller mills listed above. I included the Millmaster 2 roller because I know a lot of you use it and the more I check it out the better it is looking, although I'd prefer 3 roller so I only have to do a single pass through the mill.
Please list the pro's and cons if you currently own, have previously owned or even used any of the above.
I'm currently leaning more towards the Monster, but it's also the only one that isn't geared <_< . As this will be a one-off, long term purchase I really want to get it right so all constructive comments are appreciated.

What on earth gave you the idea that you have to do a double pass though a 2 roller mill? that is rediculous. Do yourself a favour and buy the MM one.

cheers

Browndog

Crankandstein is not gear driven. I have one and am very happy. The crank 3 style are very easy to run off a drill or other relatively small motor.

Good thread for us guys who are newish to milling. I have a marga but am not stupid enough to think it wont stuff up.
And old threads are just that, old threads on mills that may or may not have been improved, upgraded yeah.
Have another pint and calm down Wassa :ph34r:

Yeah good , but if you use it as much as my "please mill my grain mill" then you would change your mind. Half an hour to get the thing to pull some grain through really does your head in.All the knurl is gone.
GB

The joys of retailing Gryphon? :(
Surely you factored enough "wear & tear" into your milled grain prices to eventually replace the (worn) mill? :unsure: A few cents a kilo would probably have done it?

TP

Back