Maltzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you interested in the Maltzilla?

• Interested, but will wait for the next revision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, I'd prefer something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Schikitar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a new mill as my brother and I have been sharing a really good one from a bulk buy we participated in here some time ago - but I'm sick of sharing. Have only just started looking around and read about the Kegland Maltzilla but can't find much in terms of reviews or experiences..
I'm wondering if anyone has taken the dive yet? I see they are coming back into stock shortly but there still seems to be really limited info, perhaps it's all a bit of a v1 experience..

I’ve got one.

Out of the box the housing had a broken corner but was still usable, a replacement was sent but it looked like it came from the reject bin and was worse than the first. It was all chunked up (a technical term) internally so I didn’t use it. Still waiting on a reply whether it will be replaced again.

First time milling had a heap of issues with it jamming, then when the idler roller jammed the rollers clogged up with dust. After disassembling to change the side plate I could see how the mill worked and discovered that nipping up the locking screws for adjustment too tight would jam the roller.
Second time I adjusted the gap, didn’t tighten the screws as much and it milled well but very poor efficiency.
Third time I adjusted the gap again, still milled well and efficiency was somewhere near where I would expect.

Jury is still out but if the damaged housing gets replaced, for the money it is a good motorised mill.

I had the same issues as above ^ with the rollers hitting the side wall if you do up the screws too tight.
Once that was sorted no issues at all, its great to be able to throw 6kg in the hopper (the 11L office works water bottle), flick the switch and then go do something else while it cracks.

Edit: Also, I felt that the KL power supply was a bit over priced so i bought one off eBay for about $25... 24v 200watt

G’day Schikitar; Like most I started off with a cheap knurled mill from fleabay that worked great till it got blunt and stopped feeding. I got a fluted geared mill which is amazeballs, I doubt it will ever need replacing. My concerns with that mill are; plastic housing and when the rollers blunt its caput…

Not KK/KL related just my opinion, fwiw….. Cheers

I bought the geared 3 roller mill, it makes a big difference in the crush, the husks are mostly intact.

Back