Where To Go In Munich

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyNova

Reaction score
In a few days time I'm taking a bit of a trip which includes a few days in Munich.

I'm sure there are a few people around here that know a more about the beers and where to drink them than I do so I thought I'd ask the questions;

Any there any particular beers which it would be a crime not to try while I'm there?

If there are any awesome pubs I should also check out while I'm there then let me know about those too!

Any other Munich related tips from those that have travelled there would also be appreciated!

Cheers.

I was there around this time last year and had a great afternoon at the Schneider Weisse brewhouse. Amazing beer, great atmosphere and some pretty tasty, stodgy German food. There are plenty of other places like it, but it was easily my favourite. It is right in the heart of Munich as well.

in summer Englischer Garten, theres 2 beer gardens and a wide variety of local attractions

I'd recommend doing a walking (or cycling) tour and getting a feel for the history of the place also. We did a third reich tour which was very enlightening.

Munich Olympic Pool is also a pretty good place to swim off a hangover. Do a few laps in the pool that Spitz made famous.

Pretty hard to f*ck up finding good beer in Munich.

When we were there (www.biertour.com) we used this book
http://www.beerdrinkersguide.com/
pretty much as the best way to find 4 or 5 beer rated watering holes in the area around the train lines and main station.
As Josh says, its pretty damn hard to get a bad beer in Munich ;)
Recommend schweinhocks (pork knuckle) as damn good fare and any dunkel you come across, give it a go.

Near the Hauptbanhoff there is a place called Augustiner Brew House pretty much directly on the main road in from of the train station (Hoff hotel side) which IMHO had the best beer and food the whole trip.

Beer garden in the middle of the markets, sample food from the different stalls.

I'll second a few things people have said...

- Augustiner Brew House is great. Make sure you go to the one near the train station, rather than the one in the old city as its less tourist orientated.
- The beer garden in the middle of the markets (markets called the Viktualienmarkt) is a super place for a morning beer.

Also,

- There is a great walking tour (http://www.radiustours.com/beer-and-food-tour.html) which has beer, food and history of Munich.
- The Christmas markets should have started too, so a great place to grab an easy dinner. We used to just wander down there and walk from stall to stall trying little bits of everything until we had enough.
- Englischer garten is basically dead in winter. Good place for a walk though.
- Allianz Arena is one of the best stadiums in the world.
- Tollwood festival is on from late November to end of December. Its on the site of the Oktoberfest site and uses the same tents - so if you want to get a feel for the actual size of the things, its great to have a look. The festival is also pretty good.
- Aldi has a lot of small shops around the city. They can be great to grab some cheap snacks, drinks, beer.

As for beer - as most people have said, can't go wrong with any bar/pub/restuarant. Generally they all have a great range.

Lots of famous beer gardens that are kind of a must, even if you aren't into beer. Augustiner, Hofbrauhaus, Erdinger, etc. I only went to HB, but have heard from locals and visitors that Augustiner is the best one. My wife is from north of Munich and even up there they recommend Augustiner beer garden because it tastes good and is the nicest venue.

I'd also recommend Marienplatz to visit, especially at night. Lots of food places around, lots of stunning buildings... it's just awesome. Although, it's in the center of the city, so it's unlikely you'll miss it anyway. I'd imagine with a bit of snow on the surrounding buildings and it being lit up at night, it'd be one of the best things you'd see all trip.

Try Wirtshaus Ayingers, across the way from the Hofbrauhaus.
Nice little restaurant serving Ayinger beers.
Celebrator off tap! :icon_drool2:

augustiner platz which is near the hofbrau haus or near the train station the augustiner keller but Munich has a lot of good beer easy to find

We hit Munich in style!
Hoffbrau Haus
Augustiner Brewery
Hitler's favorite sausage & dunkle place
Rasthaus Keller
and a whole host of other pubs...

Highly recommended!
Happy New Year Guys...

gotta share this:
My mate won a Heineken competition
2 tickets to the UEFA Champions league final tickets Bayern V Chelsea + access to the players village ets this weekend
7 days in Munich, flights, accom, transfers, etc and various Heineken (official sponsor) parties,
his wife is up the duff and cannot fly,
so hes taking me with him, whata great mate
leave tomorrow :party:

gotta share this:
My mate won a Heineken competition
2 tickets to the UEFA Champions league final tickets Bayern V Chelsea + access to the players village ets this weekend
7 days in Munich, flights, accom, transfers, etc and various Heineken (official sponsor) parties,
his wife is up the duff and cannot fly,
so hes taking me with him, whata great mate
leave tomorrow :party:
Legend mate, and missus!
In Englischer Garten there's a beergarden at the Chinese tower... if it's still there.

Highly recommend doing just that (Bamberg) or if you are after more pretty places, with good a good beer hall try Tegernsee for an overnight stay

Seriously, your mate shouldn't go off on a trip leaving his pregnant wife at home to fend for herself. He just lost about 1000 brownie points. He will never, ever, be allowed to forget what he has done.

But all is not lost, I'm willing to help him out. He can still recover the brownie points if he stays at home. I'll take his ticket off his hands, gratis.

thanks for the generous offer Mikec, I'll run it past him

yeah, I'm also indebted to that unborn baby, maybe I'll buy he/she a nice stein

Go to the Weisses Brauhaus (Schneider Weisse). Bloody great selection of wheat beers and some guest taps from rural bavaria!! Went there on a "day off" from Oktoberfest and loved it. Hadn't been to it on previous Munich visits, and was very impressed....

Latest posts

Back