Where To Go In Munich

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's already there. If he has time and has discovered the Guest computer in the hotel lobby he may check in. Wifi and WCs come at a premium.

Where ever you go, ask what the seasonal beer is. Was ist das saisonale Bier? (Vas ist das sayzonalleh beer?)

Ask about the Maibock or Maifest beer (Mybock or Myfest). It's in season now

There is a very good brewery by the airport...hence the name Airbru http://www.munich-airport.de/en/micro/airb...uerei/index.jsp This is a do not miss. I doubt they will have any "Aviator" left but it is a very good Doppelbock.

Hacker Pschorr is is right at the Oktoberfest grounds. It's a beautiful building with a great menu and all of their bier on tap.

This is a Catholic town so the correct greeting is Gr Gott (Grooss Got...got like the British short "o" as in hot, spot. If you want to be very correct the umlaut u is pronounced by shaping a u vowel with your mouth but try to say an e vowel. These are often spelled ue, ae, oe) There are a couple Goodbyes you can use. The Bavarian- Tchu (Chooss), Auf Wiedersehen , or the rare Auf Wiederschauen (Owf Veeder Showwen Ow as is ouch) or you can pull out your Italian and say Chiao!

A liter bier is a Ma (Mahss) The beta looking letter is an esset. It means ss or two esses

A half liter is a Halbma (halpmahss)

The sentence is Ein Ma bitte. or Ein Halbma bitte. (bit-eh short e at the end)

The Germans are not like the French when it comes to speaking their language. They appreciate the effort of trying to learn their culture.

Trains go everywhere. If you can't read the schedule it is like a television program guide. The city, the track and what time it leaves. They run like clockwork.

If you end up in a big train station and can't figure it out the proper question is..
An welchem Glei geht nach* ________? (whatever city)

that is pronounce

On velshem glise gate nosh _____? (*that "ch" sound in welchem and nach, if you can pull it off, sounds like a cat hissing...but shorter. The a in nach is pronounced also like a British short o...hot, spot, pop)

The straight translation is:
On which track goes to________?

Guess what I went to school for?

thanks Freezkat, I'll print your post and study it on the plane over

Did a good daytrip to Rothenburg Ob d Tauber from Munich. 2ish hours on a train, plus a fine for being sold a certain tourist ticket but not being told of the conditions, plus got off at the wrong stop on the way back... overall the trip was worth the hassle and we wish we took our backpacks and stayed there.
Oh , that and a trip to Fussen for the Neuchwanstein castle. tourist trap but awesome. even got a beerstein from it.

Are you just going to Munich for the Fussball? Do you have time to go elsewhere?
If you end up on the Marienplatz across from the Glockenspiel there is a place that has a free public restroom in a bookstore. It's up a level or 2. Escalator or elevator will get you there.
If you go around that opposite side loop of the Marienplatz you will find a Paulaner restaurant. It's next to a jewelry store and a bottle shop if I remember correctly.

The best place to buy Bavarian hats, dirndle etc... is at the Lederhosen Wagner.

Tal 2.80331 Mnchen. An der Heilig-Geist-Kiche.Seit 1825 Tele. 225697

The lady speaks no English. Print this out and give it to her.

"Von April 2010... Ein amerikanische mit der groen Hals, mit schlechte Deutsche Sprache. Er hat ein schoene Sohn. Er kaufte auch einen riesigen Hut und ein grosse Trachten-Hemd....Er hat mich gesandt hier."

the direct translation is:
From April 2010 ... An American with the big neck, with poor German language. He has a beautiful son. He also bought a huge hat and a big dress-shirt .... He sent me here.

The tourist office is to the left of the Glockenspiel they are great people there.

In there, trains are cheap and so is the food, and the friggin beer!

btw, Munich, ze geek in me wants to visit the Deutsches museum, good times.

Also, on the way back from there to the hauptbahnhof, along the river somewhere very nice beer gardens, awesome to drink anywhere! Of course, the English Gardens are good, well, just enjoy, skip your swimmers if you're that way inclined...

This ad of Target on TV has women handling each other! Dam

You can also catch a train out to Aying and take the short walk to the Ayinger brewery. Do the tour - they do both English and German tours
Wes

You can also catch a train out to Aying and take the short walk to the Ayinger brewery. Do the tour - they do both English and German tours
Wes
Instead of going to Neuschwanstein go to the castle Linderhoff. You get to go through another Brewery Town called Ettal. The Ettaler monastery brewery is very old. Linderhoff has a great little cafe before you go on the castle tour.

We did a tour out to Dachau, as in the old concentration camp. It's only about 30 ks out of town.

After that, I needed a drink.

We did a tour out to Dachau, as in the old concentration camp. It's only about 30 ks out of town.

After that, I needed a drink.

I second that, had a very good tour guide through the camp and it still haunts me how brutal it was.

No matter how corny it was, we (my wife and I) did the beer tour and made heaps of friends, ate many pretzel and of course had tons of beer.

some gold in these posts, we are going to head out of Munich for the day, poss to get a away from the Chelsea fans, have printed your above suggestions
cheers

Hell yeah.
Just found out we cant fly home out of Rome when we want to, so we have to fly out of Munich!
I'll be there with a week or so to go in Oktoberfest. Have a mate living there and haven't been there since 2005.
Wifey is a beer lover too. Happy Days.

My big MOFO brother is minding my house while I'm away :D He'll smash my supplies, but at least him and his dogs will keep my HB gear safe. ;)

Heading back there around early October and can't wait. Loved it the first time! Will be travelling down from Berlin via the Autobahn - about a 6 hr drive from what I can see.

Plenty of recommendations in this thread of things we missed on the first visit, so I've got my work cut out for me!

HeavyNova said:
Heading back there around early October and can't wait. Loved it the first time! Will be travelling down from Berlin via the Autobahn - about a 6 hr drive from what I can see.

Plenty of recommendations in this thread of things we missed on the first visit, so I've got my work cut out for me!
If it's school holidays (and there's 3 sets of them - one after the other) leave *plenty* of time.

Back