Where to get no chill cubes in Melb.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscarman

Reaction score
I get mine from Geelong Medical Supplies in North Geelong. $4 for 20 litre cube and tap. Apparently they buy their distilled water in the cubes and have no use for them once they are empty. You could try and find a medical suply joint in your area and ask if they sell them.

All of mine are from Fresh Wort Kits....... either Grain & Grape or Cheeky Peak.
I find the FWK's are a good in between fix when I don't have time to brew.
This way I keep the taps going & I end up with a supply of cheap cubes...

Cheers, Matt.

Yep, medical supply places and also small chemical companies (think cleaning chemical places) get their distilled water in cubes, often nice heavy duty ones. Gotten great cubes from both of these in the past. I've heard many aquarium shops also get distilled water in for fishy purposes, so maybe try them too. No personal experience in that regard.

Mardoo said:
fishy purposes. No personal experience in that regard.
:icon_offtopic: So, Mardoo....never indulged in anything fishy, eh??? :rolleyes:

Back on topic...DJLethal had a good deal on a few months back (buckets too!). You might try him & see if there's anything still going.

oscarman said:
Hey guys,

So I've been on the lookout for a long time for some decent no chill cubes, all of the cubes/jerry cans from Bunnings seem to break on me, ...
Not having a go, but out of interest what are you doing to these cubes? :ph34r: Are you trying to squeeze them too much? (e.g.: only filling 16L into a 20L cube, then trying to squeeze all the air out, etc)?
I've not cubed that many times, but the ones i've got from bunnings (10L & 20L) don't look like they're anywhere near breaking.
Just wondering if it's something you're doing such that any cube would break...

I have four from Super Cheap Autos. They sometimes discount them a fair bit but as others have suggested fresh wort kits are handy.

wide eyed and legless said:
A second vote for People in plastic in Maidstone, you can purchase the heavy duty which are ideal, a 20 litre cube has a 3 litre head space, so total volume is 23 litre.
Do they sell single cubes or only in bulk?

I scouted around the back of restaurants etc and got old bulk dishwashing liquid cubes. They needed some heavy duty cleaning, killed the detergent smell with bicarb soda. But they were free and easy to get.

Fylp said:
I scouted around the back of restaurants etc and got old bulk dishwashing liquid cubes. They needed some heavy duty cleaning, killed the detergent smell with bicarb soda. But they were free and easy to get.
I don't think those are food grade though...

Who wouldn't they be food grade? They are HDPE and they had dishwashing liquid in them. Anti freeze or something might kill you, but I'm sure I'll be right and with money left over for another batch. My LHBS sell them for $15 bucks each.

Latest posts

Back