Where To Get Hops To Grow?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
folks,

do you know of any nurseries in Melbourne that sells hops by the seed? I am hoping to grow a plant or two for next season. Anytime is fine with me

Thanks.

Why do you want to grow from seed? You can't guarantee they'll be the right gender from seed. Rhizome cuttings are the way to go.

It is very uncomon to grow them from seed. Perhaps you're just thinking that they are like other plants and you could start some small ones from seed this year to grow as bigger ones next year?

Rhizomes are readily available during the plants dormant stage in winter. What you could do now in readiness for next year is to find someone with hops in full swing and take a heap of cuttings that you could get up to a reasonable size before they go dormant in winter?

Male plants are undesirable as they will fertilise the female flowers (the cones we want to brew with) and this can do a number of things, (1) reduce the total yield, (2) you can end up with seeds in your beer (3) you could end up with rogue hybrid plants developing from seeds. If my plants were fertilised by somone growing a male hop plant a couple of streets away, I might deposit dog turd in their letterbox. The only hop seeds I have seen available are from alternate medicine stores and they would have no idea what variety they are. Why waste your time on seeds that may grow wild varieties with no brewing use?

Have a read of this article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=91 about growing hops

By the way, I hope your freespace that you have available is large. Ideally you would want an area about a 4 metre diameter and 4-5m in height above it. The buggers really spread out and up.

I have Chinook, Cascade and Goldings. PM me near the end of winter next year and you're welcome to a rhizome of each if you can be bothered coming out to Sunbury.

I may have under played my gardening experience here hence the request for seeds. This will be my first time planting hops and the closest I have to do with anything in regards to gardening is killing weeds. I have no idea about Male and Female hops as I though it should be the same and thanks for the little read up. Will get right to it.

If I need to get rhisomes, where in Melbourne can I get some? Is there someone in Victoria kind enough to give some away for free?

Oh yes, the free space, its just a small balcony on the 12th floor and will be planting it in a small pot.

It is very uncomon to grow them from seed. Perhaps you're just thinking that they are like other plants and you could start some small ones from seed this year to grow as bigger ones next year?

Rhizomes are readily available during the plants dormant stage in winter. What you could do now in readiness for next year is to find someone with hops in full swing and take a heap of cuttings that you could get up to a reasonable size before they go dormant in winter?

Male plants are undesirable as they will fertilise the female flowers (the cones we want to brew with) and this can do a number of things, (1) reduce the total yield, (2) you can end up with seeds in your beer (3) you could end up with rogue hybrid plants developing from seeds. If my plants were fertilised by somone growing a male hop plant a couple of streets away, I might deposit dog turd in their letterbox. The only hop seeds I have seen available are from alternate medicine stores and they would have no idea what variety they are. Why waste your time on seeds that may grow wild varieties with no brewing use?

Have a read of this article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=91 about growing hops

By the way, I hope your freespace that you have available is large. Ideally you would want an area about a 4 metre diameter and 4-5m in height above it. The buggers really spread out and up.

I have Chinook, Cascade and Goldings. PM me near the end of winter next year and you're welcome to a rhizome of each if you can be bothered coming out to Sunbury.

BigSam,

I'm going to hold you up to it. See you end of next winter if I dont find anything by then.

You'll want a pretty big pot to be honest. I use a half wine barrel for one plant and even that isn't really big enough. That is unless you're just doing this for fun and not for brewing, if so just do whatever.

If I need to get rhisomes, where in Melbourne can I get some? Is there someone in Victoria kind enough to give some away for free?

Oh yes, the free space, its just a small balcony on the 12th floor and will be planting it in a small pot.

^see above and others can be very charitable at the right time of the year...

as far as the space goes, if its for decoration then? are you friendly with the neighbours above... and probably above them?? The bigger the pot the better, you may have limited results with a smaller pot as they develop a large root mass..

heres a topic on what some others have done 2011 Hops

and an older one 2010 Hops

my Pride of Ringwood that I thought was dead has now shot through and is growing 2 inches a day, I have another type that grew 100mm yesterday... they REQUIRE space..

Yob

You'll want a pretty big pot to be honest. I use a half wine barrel for one plant and even that isn't really big enough. That is unless you're just doing this for fun and not for brewing, if so just do whatever.

Well, would be nice to be able to use the hops that I have so patiently waited for but I'm not depending on it for a decent brew- besides, I want to green up that area and what better plant to use - might I add, legal.

^see above and others can be very charitable at the right time of the year...

as far as the space goes, if its for decoration then? are you friendly with the neighbours above... and probably above them?? The bigger the pot the better, you may have limited results with a smaller pot as they develop a large root mass..

heres a topic on what some others have done 2011 Hops

and an older one 2010 Hops

my Pride of Ringwood that I thought was dead has now shot through and is growing 2 inches a day, I have another type that grew 100mm yesterday... they REQUIRE space..

Yob

2 inches a day, that's fast! looks like its going to be a wonderful summer ahead dont you agree? well, better not jinx it. so guys, here's the deal, who among you homebrewers is feeling generous to help out another fellow homebrewer? the only thing I have at the moment are coopers wheat beer so i'll make sure to bring you some.

Ive sent a PM to someone I know who may or may not have some, watch this topic and see if he comes through..

BTW, mine are nothing, these are all first year plants and more can be expected from more mature plants...

Yob

Ive sent a PM to someone I know who may or may not have some, watch this topic and see if he comes through..

BTW, mine are nothing, these are all first year plants and more can be expected from more mature plants...

Yob

Thanks for the trouble.

Back