Where to get a hand pump in the uk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
The Missus is of to London next week and mentioned that she could get me a hand pump for real ale!
I can get it delivered to her hotel as she is there for 2 weeks.
any tips or links? what should I look out for?
Thanks

yes i have googled ;)

Have a look under (Beer Engines eBay UK) that's where I got mine but be aware they are heavy.
Yes. That and gumtree (uk gumtree) i got one of both. Also you will prolly wanna remove the swan neck and handle when packing. Both pretty easy to remove.

Good missus you have there. My wife had to forfeit a few kilos af baggage allowance for me to bring ours home.

This one looks like my old model Hi-Gene pump without a water cooled cylinder.

The first ¼ pint in the cylinder will be at ambient temp. I always have to pour about the first ½ pint of the day down the sink as it’s far too warm in the line and cylinder.

During summer (NSW) beer in the cylinder warms up faster than I can drink it so I need to lower the cellar (fridge) temp to compensate.

If I was looking for a beer engine I would be looking for one with a water cooled cylinder so I could pump cold water from the fridge through it.

Shame she is not coming to Bath here in the UK - as she could have had one of my spare ones, ive got about half a dozen that i dont use.

Shame she is not coming to Bath here in the UK - as she could have had one of my spare ones, ive got about half a dozen that i dont use.
Its only a 2 hour trip... surely a loving wife would do that for her hubby and his beer! :fallingoffchair:

Just last week picked up another angram cq pump with a check valve from a bloke who strips bars in mansfield near nottingham for 35 pounds.

Luckily it was on my way up to yorkshire.

Now posting from the grog and gruel in fort william where ther have 6 vintage angrams in operation.

Also picked up hunting scene handle for 12 pounds delivered.

Hunting scene handle arrived whilst on the road. Shes a ripper.

Attachments

• 20180812_105815.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
Pah! who needs hand pumps anyway? Gravity is the way to serve.

Was passing a pub yesterday and they even had a gravity system for dogs to keep hydrated during the heat wave.
20180809_134704.jpg

Pooches are no doubt damn spoilt in the UK with often the best rooms in a pub reserved for patrons with dogs. Free dog treats on the bar are common also.

As for a pump being mandatory it's purely personal preference. I have been to plenty of CAMRA events/pubs where they dispense direct from the cask and personally I would prefer it pumped with a sparkler any time. I also have a preference of places with angram cq pumps with cooling jackets.

The old post office in warwick has casks with double outlets on them. One you can pour straight off the cask and the other goes through a beer engine. Quite a novel way to please any customer.

On the other hand my favorite pub the wild boar has more choice, all hand pumps and also a choice of their own slaughterhouse ales as well as a nice line of guest beers.

For what it's worth there are about 15 pubs in this town.

Latest posts

Back