• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Where To Find A Cheap Electric Heating Element For Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Howdy everybody,

I'm in the process of upgrading my HLT to electric, to be controlled by MM's HLT temp controller on timer.

I'm wanting to source 1 (or possibly 2) 2200W Electric Heating Element(s), wondering what are my cheapest options? Where is the cheapest place to find one by salvage, new or otherwise?

As I understand it, a 2200W element can be directly plugged into my household socket (with no need to upgrade to a higher wattage). If I couple up elements, having 2X2200W (for example) does that draw 4400W off the socket (exceeding maximum wattage allowed) or does it remain 2200W ?

Thanks gang as always.

Cheers,
reVox

Revox

Probably the cheapest way to get an element is to go to Go Lo, the Warehouse or Big W and buy a cheap electric kettle (around $10) and swipe the element and cord from it.

2 x 2400 watt on the same circuit will trip your power out. If you run two you'll need a separate circuit for each.

How much water to you plan to heat up. I manage to be able to heat 50 litres with one 2400 element in around 2 hours. Seems a long time but I just put it on a timer overnight and wake up to perfect strike water. :)

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Sweet. Thanks Warren B)

I'll be heating around 60L and my plan is to do exactly as you have, element (controller) on timer for overnight heating... so heating time is irrelevant. Means I can get away with 1 element, no worries.

Wow. I didn't know those electric kettles were 2200W (or ballpark).. I figured they would be more like 400W or something.

Cheers,
reVox

Hey reVox, by the time I've answered this someone will have already pipped me at the post...

I bought a $13 kettle from BigW and carefully removed the element (others use bricks/hammers) so that all the gaskets/screws were intact. They don't have the reach of a longer element, but they still throw between 1800 and 2400w into your HLT.

If you want to run more than one of these off a 10Amp circuit, you'll need to spread the load over a couple of phases (run them off different circuit breakers, or borrow your neighbour's socket!)

Other people salvage elements from dishwashers and water heaters, which tend to be bigger. I posted a link to a couple of elements a while back...I'll see if I can dig it up. They were about $20-$30 from memory and looked the goods.

Howdy everybody,

I'm in the process of upgrading my HLT to electric, to be controlled by MM's HLT temp controller on timer.

I'm wanting to source 1 (or possibly 2) 2200W Electric Heating Element(s), wondering what are my cheapest options? Where is the cheapest place to find one by salvage, new or otherwise?

As I understand it, a 2200W element can be directly plugged into my household socket (with no need to upgrade to a higher wattage). If I couple up elements, having 2X2200W (for example) does that draw 4400W off the socket (exceeding maximum wattage allowed) or does it remain 2200W ?

Thanks gang as always.

Cheers,
reVox

Hey mate,

Just for future reference,

P(watts) = I(Amps) X V(Volts)
or
I = p / v

I = 4400 / 230

I = 19.1 amps (not recommended on the same circuit) :(

I = 2200 / 230
I = 9.5 amps (ok on a 10amp outlet) :)

Cheers

I've used the cheap kettle elements quite a few times.

Each time I have had to pull the little back plastic bit appart that backs onto the actual element and remove all the pins a bi-metal strips. Solder the remaining main circuit together.

Otherwise the thing would trip out at the most inopportune times (during a boil for instance).

Now these safety features are there for a reason, and the elements aren't really designed to be used for extended periods like we do, so the call on whether to remove them has to be up to you.

Found my original thread: right here

I assume the elements are still available - if not, at least there are some nice pics in that thread that will help you out.

Element.jpg

268301264_1.jpg

Howdy everybody,

Thanks gang as always.

Cheers,
reVox

hey revox,

following this with some interest as i'd like to go down the same path, would appreciate it if you'd post some pics etc as you go.

cheers
yard

Not the cheapest option but Stokes out in Ringwood sells heaps of elements.
You will need to get some fittings welded.

- Luke

hey revox,

following this with some interest as i'd like to go down the same path, would appreciate it if you'd post some pics etc as you go.

cheers
yard

that's a can do.

cheers bugwan on the link to your post! wow, those screw-in (to be bolted/weldless) stokes elements look the goods. leaning in that dir atm.

thanks all. open to more suggestions. will followup over the coming weeks with pics & progress.

cheers,

reVox

Everyday on the way to work I see a ute advertising Barling Elements in Cheltenham, strangely enough with a picture of an element on the side.

I have no idea of their prices or exactly what their market is, their website is 'coming soon' but has contact details at least.

www.barlingelements.com.au

Not sure if this Yellow Pages ad link will work, but there's a bit more info in it.

Another source of elements are from old dishwashers waiting for curbside collection. I have done this twice with some longer 1800 watt elements which work a treat, you just need to give them a gentle reshape to fit into your HLT.
Cheers
Doug

Not directly related by in my fuse box all my fuse switch thingies (yeah I'm a leco by trade can't you tell? :p) are 250V 20A...(two house circuits and hot water systesm... the lights one is only 10A) is that normal? I have run two of those kettle elements on the same circuit before with nothing bad happening, but is it really unsafe to do so? It's a very old house so I thought they may have had different standards back then or something..

This may be a really stupid question but to test if a 2xKettle element solution is going to work could you just buy/borrow 2 plastic kettles and try and boil water at the same time with both on the same circuit?

Cheers,
Dave

This may be a really stupid question but to test if a 2xKettle element solution is going to work could you just buy/borrow 2 plastic kettles and try and boil water at the same time with both on the same circuit?

Cheers,
Dave

Yes, as you are just doing the same thing - generally it will actually cut out immediately if overloaded and you have a safety switch

I have just got a 1750 watt element, the type they use in stills and I pump my 50 litre HLT full with hot water from my continuous gas hot water service at 50 deg C and it takes 1 hour to get to strike temp, every time without fail. I would not be bothered with big watt elements, when a smaller one and a bit of planning go a long way.

Steve

I have just got a 1750 watt element, the type they use in stills and I pump my 50 litre HLT full with hot water from my continuous gas hot water service at 50 deg C and it takes 1 hour to get to strike temp, every time without fail. I would not be bothered with big watt elements, when a smaller one and a bit of planning go a long way.

Steve

What is this thing you call "planning"? :p

Just goes to show that when it comes to separating a cat from its skin, there are a number of ways. I'd thought about a modified continuous water heater - imagine if you could vary it to a few degrees above your strike temp...

Just goes to show that when it comes to separating a cat from its skin, there are a number of ways. I'd thought about a modified continuous water heater - imagine if you could vary it to a few degrees above your strike temp...
That would be great. A bit expensive though. Although the 50 deg C output is a good head strat for my little element. Also I need the hour, pre brew, to get my shit together anyway.

Steve

As I write I am busily converting my 50ltr SS pot to electric. I lashed out and bought a stokes 2400w element. It is 250mm in length with a 1 1/4" BSP thread.I had a freind weld a socket into the pot so that I could screw it in. The element cost me $80.I thought of using a kettle element but because of the amount of water I want to heat I decided it was better to spend a few extra bucks. Beside I am not sure if the kettle elements would be able to heat such a large quantity of water efficiently.

BYB...

Spend the extra money on a proper screw in element. I tried to fit a kettle element to my 50lt s/s pot and no matter what i tried it leaked. Save yourself the hassel

Back