Where to buy grain and yeast in Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve0408

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm getting ready for my first AG brew over the next few weeks but need to source the grain bill from either a shop or online can anyone recommend a good retailer how would be able to assist a newbie like myself.

On another note I need to make a wort chiller so need to buy 15meter of 10mm soft copper tubing this is proving a little tricky at the moment so any advice on where to buy would be great.

Keg King for the Grains

Bunnings for the copper.. or try around other plumbing supply shops

:icon_cheers:

Been to both Bunnings and Masters for the copper they only had short lengths I will try Recces in the week and cross my fingers.

Bunnings should have larger rolls, my local one certainly does (Bayswater)..

about $125 from memory, cant remember the length.

Ask the folks at Bunnings for annealed copper coil, and if you're lucky enough to get one who knows ass from teakettle they can tell you where the person who knows where it is, is.

Bunnings do 18m rolls of 12.7mm annealed copper for about $99. I found Reece's to be a rip off unless you get trade and you may get cheaper a/c tubing but fittings are a pain due to difference in wall thickness.

Where in Melbourne? Like Yob says KegKing are good though somewhat limited in variety, there's G&G in Yarraville and various others scattered around. I've found Craftbrewer to have great variety and it usually gets here in 2-3days. No affiliation to any, I tend to get most of my malts from bulk buys nowadays and farm my own yeast. For hops you can't go past Hop Dealz Australia based here in Melbourne and the proprietor is an AHB member I believe. :ph34r: No affiliation aside from being a happy customer. Fullpint.com.au is another new local business starting out that I'm happy to support. Once again no affiliation apart from wanting more suppliers local to me!

I'm north in Roxburghpark but travel is no issue to get the right service.

I'd recomend Grain and Grape, their prices are so-so but the range of products is excellent and I've never had to substitute ingrediants when I've purchased from them.

Word of warning though their point of sale system appears to be the love child of a sloth and a grand chess master as virtually everytime I've bought anything it takes an age for them to find it and process it - the time I bought about a dozen various plumbing parts from them is still something that gives me nightmares.... (go during the week if you can).

Grain and grape is brilliant. Getting yourself in the G&G grain book will bring the cost of grain down to about $3/kg.

+1 Grain & Grape. Cheap fast postage for melb if you can't get to the shop. Their free demo's are fantastic for getting into all grain as well.

cheap postage for regional victoria also, 17kg for $25 odd dollars express post, very impressive! Cheaper than driving there! I should have gotten onto the grain book in hindsight, oh well maybe next time

Grain and grape are finally getting barcodes... Prob in the next month or three...
email your grain order the night before and it's there when you get there...also you can join their grain book and get better prices on malt..

Hi guys
Thanks for the fantastic response I will to be honest try both, G&G and Greensborough and hopefully use them both on a regular basis. one last question do both providers crush the grain for you as I think that's one part at the out set I would like done by someone with experience.

I am also a happy customer of Dave at Greensborough, grain can be milled for you, no worries!

Thanks all I will try to purchase the grain bill and other ingredients this weekend and aim for a brew day the following I think I have all I need for a basic setup.

40L Kettle
20L Kettle
40L Mash tun
large gas burner
25L F/V
Thermometer
tubes
Wort Chiller

The desire to drink beer :chug:

Let me know if you think I'm missing a vital bit of equipment?

Back