Where to buy foil bags and vacuum sealer for hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm chasing the non-oxygen permeable foil bags and a vacuum sealer for storing hops, can anyone point me to a good source?

Cheers

Zarniwoop

this might explain it

these textured vacuum bags have a special embossed surface, creating channels for air to easily be removed from the bag. As a result of their textured design, embossed vacuum bags provide an higher than usual oxygen barrier, which significantly extends the shelf life and flavor of food products, as well as greatly reducing the occurrence of freezer burn and moisture loss, thus reducing waste.

As DU99 linked too. I'm not aware of any foil bags that have channels in them. But a decent thickness vac bag is still great for hops storage, although the foil are that bit better. I use non-foil bags for all my hops.

edit: At the packaging center the "home bags" are channel bags, and the "commercial bags" are non-channel. You will see the non-channel are a lot cheaper to buy, but realistically for the quantities we use it's probably not such a big factor.

Ah ok thanks, I guess provided there's no light the standard plastic channel bags would be fine?

Yep a decent vac bag (not a ziplock bag), cold and in the dark they will last for a very long time (years).

three year old cluster flowers..

155p8h1.jpg

QldKev said:
This is where I get my bags from, but the vac sealers they are currently selling only seal channel bags, so are no good for the foil ones.

This is the same as my machine which does seal the non-channel bags.
edit: The top machine on that page
Kev,

I bought one of the new versions of that machine recently - but having trouble getting a full vacuum seal - any tips on how to use the snorkel / release thingo effectively?

Thanks!

lael said:
Kev,

I bought one of the new versions of that machine recently - but having trouble getting a full vacuum seal - any tips on how to use the snorkel / release thingo effectively?

Thanks!
I find keeping the product towards the snorkel, and not the bottom of the bag helps a lot. Although you only have a new one so it should not have clogged up yet, in the snorkel there is a filter that clogs up quickly from the hop debris. After cleaning it a couple of times I got the idea from Batz to leave it out. It's been out for the past 2 years with no issue. If it's the same as mine, on the back of the housing behind the snorkel there is a removable panel. Inside that there is the back of the snorkel with a removable rubber cap. Remove the cap and you can push out the filter from the snorkel side and out through the hole where the rubber cap was.

edit:
This thread has a pic of mine with the top off. You can see the black rubber cap in the middle of the pic

Sweet, thanks. I think I might have had the bag collapsing over the snorkel.

DU99 said:
three year old cluster flowers..

155p8h1.jpg
Sorry for OT but DU99 that lino looks like it has an asbestos underlay. Which if it is would be classes as friable asbestos (the worst type) because it can not be removed without disturbing the bonding. Only cost about 60 bucks for a NATA lab test.

Cheers

I've found them on ebay in past by searching for Mylar vacuum bags and textured or channel. This listing is the only current one I can see, but the seller is in the US so the shipping is more than the bags. Still, works out about $1.40 a bag, and they are nice and thick and a reasonable size at 10 x 14". Says at the bottom to be careful with cheap vacuum sealers - may not be strong enough to heat and seal, so might need a double-shot.

I've tried the non-channeled foil/mylar bags in my Sunbeam VS7800 with a fairly random 1 in 3 or so success rate, but had no luck at all in my old cheaper Costco FoodSaver model. The Sunbeam walks all over that one for quality, power and not sucking the juice out of the meat before it heats and seals.

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but does anyone have a good source to get quality bags where you don't have to buy 200 odd.

Back