Where Do You Get Your Boutique/import Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gough said:
Corker's at Kahibah
Corker's on Beaumont St. Hamilton
Tighes Hill Cellars

No affiliation etc...

Shawn.
Ditto on all accounts :) :chug:

Linz said:
So you're buying Tooheys, Fosters, VB, Wet End, XXXX, etc????

Beleive it or not, they stock Boags, Hahn Premium, Coopers (even the vintage ale!), Tooheys and a few others.

Coopers actually has quite a little following over here. The sparkling ale and extra stout are normally the token aussie beers at festivals with an international bar.

kook said:
Linz said:
So you're buying Tooheys, Fosters, VB, Wet End, XXXX, etc????

Beleive it or not, they stock Boags, Hahn Premium, Coopers (even the vintage ale!), Tooheys and a few others.

Coopers actually has quite a little following over here. The sparkling ale and extra stout are normally the token aussie beers at festivals with an international bar.
[post="117066"][/post]​

There is an excellent little pub in Paris, not far from the Cricketers Arms that has/had Coopers Sparkling Stubbies in the fridge! Waitresses all had the coolest French accents, but you get that in Paris!
Further north, in Gothenburg, Sweden there was a great bar called the Dancing Dingo. Owned by a QLDer who made real Aussie pies! The beer was european Fosters but the Bundy Rum was the real deal.
Sorry for the detour.
Cheers
Gerard

For those who like Leffe....

Vintage Cellars are offering a 4 pack of Leffe Blond and a Leffe Chalice for $19.99

I bought one just to get the glass. I'm a sucker for paraphenalia!

No affiliation.

Cheers,

Smashed Jaffa. :beer:

i went to northmead cellars on the weekend after sams praise for them... great selection of beer... the only downside i thought was that they didn't have the shelves completely stocked... But i did still find half a dozen brews to tide me over

Gerard_M said:
Further north, in Gothenburg, Sweden there was a great bar called the Dancing Dingo. Owned by a QLDer who made real Aussie pies! The beer was european Fosters but the Bundy Rum was the real deal.
Sorry for the detour.
Cheers
Gerard

I'd love to visit Sweden before I leave the EU. A new Delerium pub recently opened in Gothenburg (2000+ beers), and the Ratebeer Euro Gathering is there this year. Stockholm also has the legendary Akkurat bar, with Cantillon beers brewed expecially for them!

Kook - I was in Stockholm for a week about 16 years ago. It is one of the greatest places I have visited. The bars, nightlife & hospitality of the Swedish people by far exceeds anything you can imagine. The SW coast along from Malmo, Helsingborg is great. I was based there in 93 for the summer and it is only a short ferry ride to Denmark for a day or 2 at the Carlsberg brewery!

Now living in the suburbs is good too. I guess I should stay on track with this topic. I get my boutique beer from the coolroom @ the Malt Shovel Brewery!

Cheers
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
I get my boutique beer from the coolroom @ the Malt Shovel Brewery!

Cheers
Gerard
[post="117944"][/post]​

Geez Gerard, do you have to keep bring that up!!! :angry: :lol:

On the topic though, he best bottle shop for imported beers I have ever seen is the bottlo at Harrigans Pub in the Hunter Valley. Its got a great range of British and Continental European beers. Bit disappointed not many of bottle shops in Australia stock American microbrews, but hopefully they will pop up more and more in the future. I am up in the Hunter quite a bit (folks live up there) and I usually go and buy a selection of interesting beers for the weekend. Last weekend I got a selection of Mountain Goat beers some Bodingtons (which I didn't like much), and have previously sampled some of the well known English ales like Old Peculiar, Fullers and Old Speckled Hen etc.

If I am in Sydney I just go to Vintage Cellars to get something a bit different. But I usually have so much home brew in the fridge that there's rarely any need!

To the Novacastrians,

will add to the usual list of establishments, the Mary Ellen Corkers in merewether (of course). If you are desperate in the arvo, evening, you can get longnecks of CPA on ice for $4-00 (my yeast bank!), and in the fridge they have a fairly reasonable selection of leffe, duval etc - and i even managed to get an aventinus weizen double bock.

Not as wide a selection as hamilton/kahibah, but a winner since itsonly a 10 minute stroll down the road for me. ;)

Sorry to dig up an older thread... I swing by Parkhill Cellars in North Melbourne most evenings to check out their reasonable range at reasonable prices (no affiliation btw).

There's the usual Weiss, Belgian, Samuel Adams as well as local brews like Grand Ridge and the ubiquitous MSB range.

As recent travellers to the Southern state...Swords bottleshop to the N/E and the one at the QV markets for local(Vic) micros and the Cellarbrations in Newport...Wow

Last Tuesday I stumbled across a new (for me) bottle shop in Parramatta while looking for some lunch. In the old David Jones building near the river, I found a bottle shop in Harris Farm markets in the lower ground floor. The guy who runs it, Chris, has a good knowledge and a love for Belgian beers. After half an hour I left with my arms full and my wallet a lot lighter ($133 to be precise!). I bought a lot of beer I hadn't tried before and some I had never heard of. These were Rochefort 10, Gulden Draak, Maredsous Blonde, Maredsous Brune, Westmalle Dubbel. I also bought a couple of Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier and a four-pack of Moo Brew Pale Ale (from Tasmania).

Tonight I tried the Moo Brew Pale Ale. It's in the APA model. Highly hopped with a lingering bitterness. The aroma and taste is a large dose of Cascade. Very grassy! Probably dry-hopped with Cascade. There is some initial aroma of pineapple but it is quickly overpowered by the citrus aromas. Not bad, but probably not worth the $19 for a four-pack.

Anyway, the bottle shop has a wide range of Belgians to whet the appetite. Not much in the way of German or British beers though.

No affiliation......blah, blah!

Back