Where Are My Bubbles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margwar

Reaction score
Hi again... so many noob questions :icon_cheers:

I have used irish moss for the 1st time and am just starting to try my beers.
10min to go on the boil I added the irish moss and whirlpooled.
They are bottled conditioned in 330ml bottles with the coopers carbonation drops.
It is real clear and I am happy with that....but.....there is very little carbonation.
It is a Brown Ale done with Wyeast American Ale II. Of the few that I have tried there is very little sediment.

Is this the price I have to pay for having a clear beer, or what can I do to improve the carbonation but still have it clear?
Or have I been impatient and not left it long enough? It has been around 3 weeks in the bottle....

Cheers,

Dietz

What temp have the bottles been stored at?

When I used to bottle, I used 330ml bottles and found they were very heavily carbed from one carbo drop.

I've found smaller bottles seem to take longer to carbonate. Same brew in 750 and 500 mL will show much less in the 500mL at the same point.

Unsure why and my experience bottling in 500s is limited - can't be arsed.

It's a yeast population issue. If you clear your beer to crystal, then the tiny yeast population needs three times as long to eat the sugar and produce the bubbles.

It sounds counter productive, but this works: when you've filled all your crystal clear bottles from the fermenter ... swirl the crud at the bottom and pour a few ml of the trub into each bottle. The beers will still be just as clear just as quickly, but they'll be fizzy in 2 weeks not 6.

I really need a good spot for bottle conditioning. Once again it's far too cold for ambient carbonation!

It's a yeast population issue. If you clear your beer to crystal, then the tiny yeast population needs three times as long to eat the sugar and produce the bubbles.

It sounds counter productive, but this works: when you've filled all your crystal clear bottles from the fermenter ... swirl the crud at the bottom and pour a few ml of the trub into each bottle. The beers will still be just as clear just as quickly, but they'll be fizzy in 2 weeks not 6.

Irish Moss is a kettle fining so will have little to do with how many yeast are suspended.

I use Irish Moss all the time in ales and have not ever had or heard of a problem with bottles carbing up.

I would look for other causes.

I guess the cupboard I am storing it in at the moment may be a little cold as it is winter and all... During the night the temp would drop quite a bit.
Thanks katzke, of course Irish Moss only clears my wort pre fermentation... I am such a noob.
I did also rack to a secondary as I needed my fermenter and cold crashed it for a few days.
Guess I will just leave it for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks again all....

I've had a carbonation issue with my cider and I think the cold temps aren't helping. If you live in a apartment where the water heater is in the cupboard you can try moving your bottles there. I moved them last night and was surprised how much warmer it was in there.

Back