When I Hear 'c Hops' I Reach For My Revolver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie - heres one for you mate

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 10 - Centennial Blonde
Brewer: under-
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 7.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.60 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 40.56 %
1.60 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 40.56 %
0.29 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 7.22 %
0.23 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 5.83 %
0.23 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5.83 %
8.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (55 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
8.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (35 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
8.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
8.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 3.94 kg
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has brewing answers, but not a single person's worried Bribie has a revolver, and that's he's reaching for it? :)

Challenger starts with C ;) :)

Im with BC. Dont assume you need to go all US hops. My best american ales have combined US with UK hops. Challenger, Northdown work very well with USC hops and I suspect EKG would go down a treat as well.

cheers
Andrew.

See, if you brew with a 1968 or that new Thames Valley (1882), you'll still have plenty malt.

I've just done a massive Styrian/First Gold/Brambling Cross IIPA with that 1882 and a simple Maris Piper/Crystal mix... love my hops at the mo...!
Back on topic... Amarillo is a bit OTT on its own.
Amarillo, Shinook and Kascade in equal measures at your leeeesure (as the yanks say...) will probably teach the Bethania pretender a well earned lesson...

Example of the Cascade / Centennial combo.

This was a beer that retained it's hop flavour far longer than I expected.
At the time I considered this one of the most drinkable beers I've brewed but the fact that it was the first successful one after a run of wild yeast infections may have biased me towards it...

Finished at 1010 for bang on 5%.

Recipe: CCPA
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 15.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2300.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 46.28 %
2300.00 gm Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EGrain 46.28 %
200.00 gm Caramalt (Joe White) (40.0 EBC) Grain 4.02 %
170.00 gm Amber Malt (85.0 EBC) Grain 3.42 %
30.00 gm Centennial [7.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
5.00 gm Centennial [7.20 %] (60 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
5.00 gm Southern Cross [14.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
25.00 gm Centennial [7.20 %] (15 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
30.00 gm Centennial [7.20 %] (2 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-0Yeast-Ale

You guys crack me up. :lol:

Good luck to all. :beerbang:

One of the reasons I'm going for an American Amber as opposed to an APA is that the hops are a bit more muted and it's a more malt driven style, so I'll be putting in a heap of Caraaroma, some Carared and some Dark Crystal, but I'll certainly not go too light on the hops ... after all I've got nearly half a kilo to play with... almost Chinese quantities :ph34r:

Hmmm.... Marco Polo?

Brewing in about six hours so I'll post the final recipes. :icon_cheers:

I also got a foil of Galena off Sully so I'll be doing some Cervezas and a Dos Equis as well.

My last APA I bittered with Magnum, added a truck load of Cascade at 10 and flameout, and dry hopped Chinook 1 gr/litre.
A bottle opened 2 weeks post bottling was fine. No grassiness at all.
Should work for an Amber as well as an APA.

By the way, I've seen your revolver Bribie, and it's nothing to be scared of.

Here's a pic of it!

revolver.jpg

as you dont like american C hops very much the chinese marco polo and cascade would be ideal for you as i found that they lack flavor and aroma, at least they did with my poor brewing ability ^_^

as you dont like american C hops very much the chinese marco polo and cascade would be ideal for you as i found that they lack flavor and aroma, at least they did with my poor brewing ability ^_^

haha. Well Challenger, Target, Fuggles, Northdown, Admiral and Goldings have heaps of flavour and aroma and that's what I like - however as I posted first up, I shouldn't knock the USA grapefruit hops without trying them out, and I got them at a price that didn't break the bank.

i am mashing a nut brown with a cup of roasted hazelnuts with northdown and fuggles however when brewing a apa i prefer the c hops to really shine.

I have more of a problem with the C in some of the American hops than I do with C Hops.
The Co-Humulone contents of some American hops is ridiculously high, I find getting too much into the beer is a big negative, giving that manky cheesy flavour that can be the down side of some APAs.

As a rule I select low Co-Humulone hops for bittering and the highly aromatic ones for late (less than 15 minute) additions to avoid too many of the nasty flavours, if used early in the boil a good 10% evaporation is necessary to degrade and/or eject the undesirable fractions. The big danger of adding hops in the 45-15 minute range is that you extract the undesirable fractions but dont have time to get rid of them.
MHB

I'd never gone into cohumulones, but I see what you mean:
Expressed as a % of total AAs

Amarillo: 21-24

Cascade: 33-40

Chinook: 29 – 34

Columbus: 30 – 35

Northern Brewer: 20- 30

So the beloved Cascade is a cohumulone monster compared to the others on the list. Would Amarillo be a good bittering choice if I'm using late Cascade? Or could I reserve Cascade for - say - 10 minute addition then flame out then dry hop?

Edit: on another point I've found out that Northern Brewer is still grown in Germany and USA, was a UK hop but has been replaced there by Northdown. So I see where Northdown would fit in with an American Ale. Northdown is the distinctive hop of Tetley and is a bit citrussy. I love it and put it in most of my UK beers anyway. :)
Maybe 'cheesy' is something I've picked up in USA ales and perhaps that's what has been putting me off.

Pretty much agree with what you have said, there is a large element of personal taste involved, but I do like North Down.
These are three of my favourite bittering varieties for APA
Good links
http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/ahtanum.html
http://www.hopunion.com/
Have a look at the Hop Education page, the Hop Variety Data Booklet is a very good download.
MHB

US SIMCOE
Pedigree Released in 2000
Maturity Medium
Yield 2650 2880 kg./ha. or 2300 2500 lb./ac.
Growth Habit Not overly vigorous
Disease/Pest Susceptibility Moderate tolerance to powdery mildew,
Spaerotheca.
Pickability/Drying/Baling Good
Cone-Structure Medium-size
Lupulin Bright yellow
Aroma Very unique, pine-like aroma
Alpha Acids 12 14% w/w
Beta Acids 4 5% w/w
Co-Humulone 15 20% of alpha acids
Storageability Good
Total Oil 2 2.5 mls/100 grams
Myrcene 60 -65% of whole oil
Humulene 10 15% of whole oil
Caryophyllene 5 8% of whole oil
Farnesene <1% of whole oil

US MAGNUM
Pedigree Bred at the Hop Research Institute in Hll
(Germany)
Maturity Late
Yield 1900 2000 kg./ha. or 1340 1700 lb./ac.
Growth Habit Good
Disease/Pest Susceptibility Good resistance to wilt and downy mildew,
susceptible to powdery mildew
Pickability/Drying/Baling Below average
Cone-Structure Large cone
Lupulin Plentiful
Aroma No real distinct aroma character, so is viewed
favorably as a clean bittering hop
Alpha Acids 12 14% w/w
Beta Acids 4.5 6% w/w
Co-Humulone 24 28% of alpha acids
Storageability Very good alpha acids remaining after 6 months
storage at 20 C
Total Oil 1.9 2.3 mls/100 grams
Myrcene 30 35% of whole oil
Humulene 34 40% of whole oil
Caryophyllene 8 12% of whole oil

WARRIOR
Origin/History
Warrior is a bittering hop of a recent origin, bred by Yakima Chief Ranches.
Agronomics
Moderate tolerance to powdery mildew, Spaerotheca. Good pickability of a medium size cone.
Maturity: Medium
Yield: 2750 - 3000 kgs. per ha.
2400 - 2600 lbs. per acre
Brewing Quality
Used both for its aromatic properties and especially for its bittering properties, due to its low cohumulone content.
Alpha acids: 15.0-17.0%
Beta acids: 4.5-5.5%
Alpha:Beta Ratio: 3.3
Cohumulone (% of alpha acids): 24-24%
Total Oil (Mls. per 100 grams): 1.0-2.0
Caryophyllene (as % of total oils): 8-10%
Farnesene (as % of total oils): 0%
Humulene (as % of total oils): 15-20%
Myrcene (as % of total oils): 40-50%

Yes, the 2002 crop left a little to be desired in 2009/2010. I wonder what they would be like fresh.

the crop year is a fair point but i wonder if you would still get the burnt plastic/rubber flavor with the marco polo as bittering and the cascade for flavor and aroma.

Ok she's under way right now:

American Amber #1

4000 BB Ale
325 Caraaroma
250 Medium Crystal
125 Dark Crystal
150 Caramalt

66 degrees 90 mins

40 Chinook 90 mins
30 Cascade 10 mins
15 Cascade flameout
15 Cascade (tea) at 4 days
15 Cascade (tea) 2 days before Bottling

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Then brew #2 tomorrow I'll experiment with Columbus Bittering and Amarillo to finish, but I see that Amarillo is fairly low cohumulone so might do a 20 min and 10 min. Grain bill will be identical, I'm basically using up all my dark spec grains and will have a nice clean cupboard.

looks good on both brews however amarillo is a hop you either love or hate.
i love it but my son does not

I'm basically using up all my dark spec grains and will have a nice clean cupboard.
Yeah, it is pretty amazing what a 'disposal' brew will turn up, some of my most interesting batches have been just a pantry- clearing assortment of leftovers and dregs. I found myself completely run out of the usual Landlord- style hops a while back and restocking wasn't permitted by the Finance Ministry so I had to use up what I had on hand. One batch which completely surprised me was an all- Amarillo APA (I have never brewed an APA) which is rather popular with the troops, also did a couple of Milds that are not too shabby and being well- received. B)

I'm thinking that doing this sort of thing AG will help, chances are (with half a brain) it will rock no matter what... :D Somehow I just can't bring myself to slip half a kilo of T3 into one batch though, which must mean it is just about high time to get serious with some Stout... oh yeah! :super:

Latest posts

Back