When I Hear 'c Hops' I Reach For My Revolver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good on both brews however amarillo is a hop you either love or hate.
i love it but my son does not

Well at least it doesn't start with "C" :lol:

Don't talk about stout, Rde, I did a 'clean out' oatmeal stout to get rid of 800g of roast barley that I had over ordered and it was sitting there annoying me for months. I did the brew whilst totally pissed, accidentally tipped in a kilo of sugar instead of 300g, fell asleep and it boiled for 2 hours so I topped it up with jugs of boiling water, then at the end decided to add some Styrian pellets - couldn't be bothered to weigh them out - shook some into the hopsock then "ah fcuck it - go Styrians :icon_drool2: " and shook the rest of the foil in (about 50g went in).

Best bloody stout I have ever made :eek: . Taking a bottle to BABBs next week, if stout boy Brad is there.

Well at least it doesn't start with "C" :lol:

Don't talk about stout, Rde, I did a 'clean out' oatmeal stout to get rid of 800g of roast barley that I had over ordered and it was sitting there annoying me for months. I did the brew whilst totally pissed, accidentally tipped in a kilo of sugar instead of 300g, fell asleep and it boiled for 2 hours so I topped it up with jugs of boiling water, then at the end decided to add some Styrian pellets - couldn't be bothered to weigh them out - shook some into the hopsock then "ah fcuck it - go Styrians :icon_drool2: " and shook the rest of the foil in (about 50g went in).

Best bloody stout I have ever made :eek: . Taking a bottle to BABBs next week, if stout boy Brad is there.
Bahahhah, Thats the way I brew the majority of my stouts.
:icon_offtopic: Unfortunately I want be at BABBS this month but my entry will be via Sully, Chappo and then to DKS in the car with Winkle, oh my poor beer. Need to get those yeasties to you too. But I am in Bundiapolis and will be home friday arv.

Back on topic, I think williamette is a great one for bittering and late 15/10 min. Dont know which beer I'll enter into Babbs American comp, the malty one on 1882 , the clean one on Pacman, or the one I will make this coming sunday?? Decisions decisions.

Cheers Brad

Ah what a classic, Bribie! :lol:

That's what I mean about 'half a brain' though- half of it incoherent and completely rat- arsed while the other half concentrating intently on pouring in random ingredients! B)

My self-indulgent 2c:

I think NB is fantastic in a US beer (though I have only used German) and adds somewhat of a woody/manly hoppiness rather than a girly fruity hoppiness.
I think that Centennial is a fantastic hop and is very versatile and palatable, I am planning on mixing it with a bunch of target in my next IIPA.
I think that if you are using hops like cascade, use them late and in moderation as per classic examples of style.
I sometimes use chinook, but I use it for the throat-burning resinous grapefruit thing. It is not a mild hop. But, if you find the character agreeable, it is a good, but decidedly loud one.

Below is a IIPA recipe that I currently have on tap. A critic last night said that it is a beer that "requires commitment".

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 48 IIPA
Brewer: Dan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 49.00 L
Boil Size: 57.65 L
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG