Wheat yeast help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mics100

Reaction score
I just brewed an amber wheat using Safbrew WB-06 and the yeast flavours are far too pronounced. It's quite drinkable, but I was hoping for more of a Shoff Hefe yeast character, and this is more like a bunch of bananas fell into the mash tun.

I'm wondering what I should do next time: different brand of yeast, wheat and English ale yeast together, other methods?

Any advice or similar experiences?

What temp did you ferment at? Temp can play a big part in what and how much flavours a wheat yeast produces.

Yeah, I'm guessing your temp bumped up too high? WB06 fermented at 17-18' will give a decent balance of clove and banana. Mid 20's and banana will dominate.

Correct on that count. I was fermenting at 22-24. I'll drop the temp next time.

How does hoegaarden get their flavour?

Belgian wit yeast like wlp400 would probably work. (Although i think you can also re-culture hoegaarden yeast from the bottles) they also add coriander seeds, orange zest.

Wyeast 3944 makes a lovely witbier, fermented around 20 ', but you need to be patient as it tends to take a while to finish. A blow off tube can come in handy too ;) I "think" wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit is THE Hoegaarden strain.

Latest posts

Back