Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Substitute yeast to limit banana esters?

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by Jonboyno81, 5/2/19.

1. Jonboyno81

Posted 5/2/19
    Hi,

Looking for some Yeasty advice. I'm going have atrial run with a Mangrove Jacks Pre-Soured Berliner Wiesse kit however i'm not a huge fan of banana esters (I know why brew a BW if you don't like the flavours right?) Anyway i was wondering if anyone has any recommendation for a substitute yeast, something more inline with an American Wheat perhaps?

Cheers.

2. SponsorSFC

Posted 5/2/19
    There shouldn't be any Banana in a Berliner Weisse. You don't want to use a typical Weizen yeast in Berliner Weisse as you don't want the yeast derived esters.

This will give you a better idea of what to aim for.

http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/23/23A/berliner-weisse/

It should be clean with a prominent lacto flavour. Something like US05 or Nottingham would do fine.

What yeast is in the kit?

3. Jonboyno81

Posted 6/2/19
    The M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast. It says it imparts banana esters on the front of the packet. I've got some US-05 in the fridge. I'll give that a crack!

SponsorSFC likes this.
  4. Brewno Marz

Posted 17/2/19 at 7:38 AM
    Lower the ferment temp. 17 degC or less should make it more neutral and reduce the banana aroma. Simples