Wheat Yeast Dead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I spinkled a Brew Cellar Wheat Yeast into a wheat beer on Wednesday afternoon. So far, no action - it's Friday.

I am about to proof some us-05 (craftbrewer yeast pack) to pour into the brew. Temp on fermenter is a consistent 20 -22 C. OG of 1.040 (i know is low for style). I have swirled the fermenter a few times yesterday to kick start the process. Just checked the fermenter, looks pretty much like a non-event in there.

Should i wait longer or just use the us-05?

In the past (before I started doing starters) it wasn't that uncommon to have a yeast take 3 days to kick off... I'd give it more time. Is there any change on the surface?

Might be worthwhile checking your gravity.
The lag phase with Wheat yeasts shouldn't be much at all at those temps, but you never know.

Isn't Brewcellar wheat yeast re-pakaged K-97? K-97 is nutorious for epic fails in my experiences

There are small foam bits on the top but they could be from wort that was splashed on the lid. The temps are possibly lower, got in the 18's for a hydrometer sample but i would think that this yeast should kick off at that temp.

I will probably wait until the morning.

thanks for the replies.

If you're getting foam bits on top of the wort then that's a good sign, sounds like she's starting to kick off

It started. Thanks for advising me to wait a little longer.

I had a similar issue with a wheat yeast not firing (I was going away for a week and needed it to get going and finish quickly before I left) - I dumped US-05 in on the 3rd day and it kicked off, result was a cleanish hefe with a bit more muted flavour of weizens...

I am a bit peeved that i have used k-97. I don't think it is going to be very hefeweizen. Assumed the yeast was wb-06.

Latest posts

Back