wheat+pils what hops would you use from this house list?(dry h)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
bit like a choose your own adventure here

dry hopping:

20ltrs wheat into 4 x 5ltr glass <edit> should mention, no late additions were put in either

20ltrs pilsner into 4 x 5ltr glass

from the house list (mostly for pales but that's the way the cookie crumbles eh)

Amarillo
Cascade
Citra
Galaxy
Ella
Summit
Sylva
Tettnanger
Vic Secret
Williamette

if I don't end up splitting 4 that's ok

Citra and cascade in the Pilsner.

Rgds

Linford

wheat beer - depends which yeast will be fermenting. American ale yeast - use Cascade Amarillo or Willamette, maybe even Citra, but only up to 20 IBU
German wheat beer - use the Tett.

Pils - I'd recommend a light flavoured hop, so that means Tettnanger to me, but may extend to cascade or Amarillo

What are you wanting to achieve? Normally I wouldn't dry hop either pils or hefe but it depends on your expectations.
How trad/historical/whatever are they?

in the?

wheat beer - depends which yeast will be fermenting. American ale yeast - use Cascade Amarillo or Willamette, maybe even Citra, but only up to 20 IBU
German wheat beer - use the Tett.

Pils - I'd recommend a light flavoured hop, so that means Tettnanger to me, but may extend to cascade or Amarillo
omg referring to notes...

the wheat has the safwheat pink, this was a plain black rock lme unhopped brew with some hops in the booster pack thingo, with dext and ldme, a fast brew to get in for Christmas swilling and get me momentarily away from bitter and strong pale ale...its non descript at the mo

the pils was 2 Ag batches mixed, 5kg of pilsner malt and 250gm of carapils, wyeast 2278, to get 22ltrs for Christmas, I can only do 15ltrs max at one time, so I just did 2 x 10ltrs I did ask the question before doing it but I don't think anyone answered - about mixing two brews, temps, yeast pitching etc - I now think I racked it too soon to glass

I used ella for bittering and some tettnang at 20 out (new at AG btw)

What are you wanting to achieve? Normally I wouldn't dry hop either pils or hefe but it depends on your expectations.
How trad/historical/whatever are they?
it was a knee jerk reaction to get away from the strong and high hopped ales dominating the beerscape here, hopefully the response above helps

thanks for the replies - hoping you guys can get me through this with some nice brews - it's not my thang

One of my crowd pleaser house ales is Pilsner and wheat with citra to 20 IBU and citra and cascade @ 0.5 gm each per litre dry hop. Real easy 12-15 pots session beer if I can get enough in before the blokes that aren't into "homebrew" demolish it.

to ad; sweetish and florally would be nice and was the idea

2 brews and 8 profiles would hopefully bring out a couple of standouts for the future

One of my crowd pleaser house ales is Pilsner and wheat with citra to 20 IBU and citra and cascade @ 0.5 gm each per litre dry hop. Real easy 12-15 pots session beer if I can get enough in before the blokes that aren't into "homebrew" demolish it.
hmmn good good

where's the surfcoast (for a WA person living in the lakes disctrict) Merimbula and up?

angon a minute...are you suggesting I mix these two suckers into a goliath batch of something or other? - well lets talk crazy here

Nah bloke and yes. In a 21 ltr batch I chuck in 10 each of citra and cascade in the dry hop. More if it's for me and not me piss hammering mates.

Surf coast VIC.

Rgds

Linford

I'm with Linford . My house ale is 60% wheat , 40% pils , POR hops bittering and Citra at 5min with 50gm Citra dry hop and US-05 yeast mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

right! well thanks for the replies, very interesting

thinking since both are light on any aroma that it couldn't hurt to mix 5ltrs from each giving me a 10ltr batch out of 40ltrs that's 50% wheat 50% pils, then cut that into two 5's with 5 to 7.5gms of cascade in one and citra in the other?

could also do two more 5ltr splits with a 70/30 ratio, ie 70% pils and 30% wheat and a 30% pils and 70% wheat - dang!

still got 10 ltrs of each left for some "normal" additions on their own

just thinking would the yeasts (safwheat and the 2278 wyyeast) not combine/taste weird?

Latest posts

Back