Wheat Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legham

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering why some recipies call for wheat malt. What does it do to the beer? and where it is sold. Can you get it fron the supermarket or have to go to the brew store?

thanks.

Hi All,

Just wondering why some recipies call for wheat malt. What does it do to the beer? and where it is sold. Can you get it fron the supermarket or have to go to the brew store?

thanks.

1) GOOGLE
2) LHBS

1) GOOGLE
2) LHBS
1) Or your chosen search engine ;)
2) Or site sponsors...

To really answer the question. It does many things.
Many recipes include a portion as it can have a beneficial effect on head retention.
It should be mashed though, so it's presence in a kit or extract recipe should be treated with caution unless you are going to do a mini or partial mash.
It can be bought as wheat extract, but I'm not sure about it's head retention capabilities.
Cara-pils is another grain that can be used for aiding head retention.

In AG beers neither is absolutely necessary for head retention, although that's an opinion that is up for debate.

It also has a flavour of its own of course but given that this question is in the kit section I'm guessing your asking about it's presence in a lot of kits and bits type recipes...

If it's wheat grain then it has to be mashed as said above. If wheat extract then it comes in spray dried or liquid. The liquid is 40/60 wheat/barley from what I gather. Generally don't get this stuff from the supermarket. I've used the coopers liquid wheat extract and the spray dried wheat extract (not sure the brand) in quite a few brews to help with body and head retention.

Post the recipe you are interested in and we could probably help more.

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, why do chocolate cake recipes call for chocolate? What does it do to the cake?

Any help would be great.

Alex

Hi all,

I'm just wondering, why do chocolate cake recipes call for chocolate? What does it do to the cake?

Any help would be great.

Alex

Doesn't the chocolate ingrediant make the cake taste sort of sweet and tasty maybe whats the right word, chocolately. Im not really sure on this 1 but maybe you should consult your local baker.

cheers

G'Day Matt,

the Semaphore Brew shop has dried wheat malt extract about $7.50 /kg,
no one else around here has the dried stuff except maybe brewcraft for $22/ kg.

Cheers

sorry, I thought Matt posted the question and I saw he was here in Adelaide

Back