Wheat Beers - Any More Prone To Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
Are wheat beers anymore prone to infection?

Recently had a wheat beer brew go off.

I was meticulous with sanitizing

The only curiousity is that last year the same fermenter also threw had an infection on a wheat beer.

Has been fine since on lagers and pale ales

What yeast? What fermentation temp? Maybe you're just not used to wheat beer phenols?

It may be due to the slightly higher temp at which some brewers ferment their weizen, or...

it may be that people brew this time of year when there is ample pollen and other stuff like wild yeast and acetobacter etc floating about.

I just brewed a weizen, and mine seems problem free.

Warner, who wrote the book on German Wheat Beer advises that you should avoid brewing above 22C (IIRC) to avoid acetobacter infection...if that info helps.

Beerz
Seth :p

Post modern

yeast - k97

The ferement temps have rangeed from 16-22 degrees

It is still in the fementer but I have tasted a sample and it has strong band aid flavours

have 2 other wheats going at present and they taste fine by comparison

Wheat malt is prone to phenol production.

K97 also can throw phenols.

A small amount of phenol is fine in a wheat, but it mustn't over rule the other flavours.

Get that temp down to 18. Let it secondary. Also, once you bottle, let it age and maybe the phenols will fade a bit.

Usually, unless it is a huge infection, problems don't show up in primary.

My sense from Post Modern and Pint of Lager posts is that the brew maybe Ok after all

My sense from Post Modern and Pint of Lager posts is that the brew maybe Ok after all

Not sure about that.....ive never had band aid flavours from K97......the only time I have had band aids was an infection :(

Back