Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Hi All ;
I'm brewing a weiss beer on wednesday . This is my recipe ;

3.25kg Wheat Halt
2.00kg Pilsener
50gm Roasted Wheat

25gm Saaz @ 60 min
15gm saaz @ 15 min
10gm Saaz @ 5 min

Yeast WLP 300 . 2lt starter

Total IBU 14.4
Single decoction with a protein rest @ 52.5* C . Decoct 9.38lt of mash to 68* C and rest 45 min and bring to boil . Mash out @ 75.6* C over 10 min hold for 10 min and recurculate etc, etc .

As Melbourne water is mainly neutral is it worth adding any gypsum or calcium to get a truer style to this beer or just leave it alone ? Any input would be greatly received .

Thanks
Beerbelly

Sorry I can't help but I plan on doing my first grain based weizen (and first decoction) with the same water so I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Most would say dont worry (i wouldn't), but if you are itnerested here is a good starting point.

a Cl:SO4 ratio of at least 2:1 is ideal for a weizen (you can go higher ratio of Cl if you desire)

I'd drop 4g of CaCl into your mash just to get the the pH down for the low SRM malts. if you are interested in a big clove profile id swapout the protein rest for a Ferulic Acid rest (43deg) and add 1/2 the CaCl at mash in and the other 1/2 after this rest as you want the pH as close to 5.7 (+-.1) as you can during this rest step.

Once you start the sparge, you then add your remaining salts to the kettle. These will be the ones to adjust the flavour profile, not the mash pH. The final volume water profile i would go for would be something like:

Ca 100ppm
Mg: <2ppm
Cl: 150ppm
SO4: 50ppm
Na: <10ppm
CO3: <13ppm

From these figures you would add a total of 7g CaCl~ and 2g CaSO4~ to bog standard Melbourne water (my water pofile anyway).

4g of the CaCl goes into the mash (remember to split it if you go the ferulic acid rest, otherwise dump it all in at mash in)
2g each of CaCl and CaSO4 goes into the boil/sparge kettle.

I hope thats clear enough bud. ;)

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Most would say dont worry (i wouldn't), but if you are itnerested here is a good starting point.

a Cl:SO4 ratio of at least 2:1 is ideal for a weizen (you can go higher ratio of Cl if you desire)

I'd drop 4g of CaCl into your mash just to get the the pH down for the low SRM malts. if you are interested in a big clove profile id swapout the protein rest for a Ferulic Acid rest (43deg) and add 1/2 the CaCl at mash in and the other 1/2 after this rest as you want the pH as close to 5.7 (+-.1) as you can during this rest step.

Once you start the sparge, you then add your remaining salts to the kettle. These will be the ones to adjust the flavour profile, not the mash pH. The final volume water profile i would go for would be something like:

Ca 100ppm
Mg: <2ppm
Cl: 150ppm
SO4: 50ppm
Na: <10ppm
CO3: <13ppm

From these figures you would add a total of 7g CaCl~ and 2g CaSO4~ to bog standard Melbourne water (my water pofile anyway).

4g of the CaCl goes into the mash (remember to split it if you go the ferulic acid rest, otherwise dump it all in at mash in)
2g each of CaCl and CaSO4 goes into the boil/sparge kettle.

I hope thats clear enough bud. ;)

Thanks Fourstar , I will give it a go tomorrow . So you reckon a give it a ferulic rest ?

Cheers
Beerbelly

Thanks Fourstar , I will give it a go tomorrow . So you reckon a give it a ferulic rest ?
Cheers
Beerbelly

I'd go that option. Better to rest there than at standard protein rest temps. With a protein rest when using todays highly modified malt, all you are doing is degrading any medium chain proteins you have left in the malt which will effect the body and head retention in the beer. Protein rests are really only bennifical for increasing nitrogen content and amino acids in the wort, along with clarification and when using mash adjuncts (rice, corn, raw barley/wheat).

You can do a protein rest @ 55deg which focuses on medium chain proteins but IMO, its not really worth doing for non adjunct beers. When i use adjunct i start the protein rest at this temp to help protect any medium chain proteins.

Cheers!

I'd go that option. Better to rest there than at standard protein rest temps. With a protein rest when using todays highly modified malt, all you are doing is degrading any medium chain proteins you have left in the malt which will effect the body and head retention in the beer. Protein rests are really only bennifical for increasing nitrogen content and amino acids in the wort, along with clarification and when using mash adjuncts (rice, corn, raw barley/wheat).

You can do a protein rest @ 55deg which focuses on medium chain proteins but IMO, its not really worth doing for non adjunct beers. When i use adjunct i start the protein rest at this temp to help protect any medium chain proteins.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info fourstar . I ended up doing a rest at 50* C for 35 min for that is what the temp was at when I mashed in , did a decoction at 35 min of a 1/3 of grist brought it up to 64* C rested for 45 min then upped it to 75.6* C for a rest at 10 min and then boiled at the same time I brought the mash up to 64* C in the tun and then mashed out at 75.6* C recirculated and then poured into boil kettle . 90 min added 25gm Saaz , 10 min 15gm Tettnang and 10gm Saaz at 5 min .

Cheers
Beerbelly

Thanks for the info fourstar . I ended up doing a rest at 50* C for 35 min for that is what the temp was at when I mashed in

Fair enough, process looks like it was sound anyways bud. ;)

Next time give the ferulic acid rest a go over the low temp protein rest. See if you notice any difference with an increase in body and cloviness of the yeast esters! ;)

Cheers fourstar , I will do that next time . Got to say though it turned out very nice , I subbed the 15 min saaz with tettnang and did the CaCl and CaSo4 into mash and boil kettle . Thanks for the chemistry lesson . O.G. 1.050 into the fermenter just 3 pts short very happy though .

Cheers
Beerbelly

Cheers fourstar , I will do that next time . Got to say though it turned out very nice , I subbed the 15 min saaz with tettnang and did the CaCl and CaSo4 into mash and boil kettle . Thanks for the chemistry lesson . O.G. 1.050 into the fermenter just 3 pts short very happy though .
Cheers
Beerbelly

Sounds great bud, be sure to update us with the results post ferment aye! ;)

Last weekend I mashed my golden ale recipe as per normal barley mash temps,

If if dont do a freulic or protein rest will this affect my beer?

Last weekend I mashed my golden ale recipe as per normal barley mash temps,

If if dont do a freulic or protein rest will this affect my beer?

For Malted Wheat you don't need todo a protein rest. Only unmalted adjunct with todays highly modified malts. Protein rests are a double edge swrod these days, to try and get some extra amino acids and nitrogen in your beer (for the yeast), you will sacrifice the body and head retention of the beer. IMO protein rests are not worth your effort unless you have high amounts of adjunct 20%~ and moreso excessivly high amounts 30%> so you dont have to get a chainsaw into your mashtun to cut up the loaf so you can sparge. ;)

Well This morning I pitched a WLP 300 into the fermenter which I put in the fridge last night the temp was around 12* C , so I let it warm up to 16* C and then pitched the yeast at around 11:00 am . I just arrived home now and took a look and there is signs of activity for the airlock has started to move . :D

Brew Well
Beerbelly

Just got home from work temp was sitting at 21* C and chugging away like steam train so I chucked in the fridge it will prbablt get down to about 12-13*C by the morning . :p

Cheers
Beerbelly

Just got home from work temp was sitting at 21* C and chugging away like steam train so I chucked in the fridge it will prbablt get down to about 12-13*C by the morning . :p

Cheers
Beerbelly

Hi BB

Why do you want the temperature so low ? I thought the recommended temp for this yeast is between 20 and 22 degrees.

Hi BB

Why do you want the temperature so low ? I thought the recommended temp for this yeast is between 20 and 22 degrees.

Apparently if you have the temp around those numbers you will end up with a big banana ester and less of the clove . What I am trying to do is get a nice balance of both , so by lowering the ferment temp to around 16 - 17 * C I will have a better balance of flavours . Personally I would not attempt to brew any higher than 20*C with some of my ales . By attempting to brew at those temps for some ales you end up introducing esters and flavours that can ultimately spoil the overall flavour of the beer .

Cheers
Beerbelly

P.S. I am no expert but if you do some reading about temp control of yeast you will find a $!#t load of info as to why yeast reacts differently to higher or lower temps . :lol:

Personally I would not attempt to brew any higher than 20*C with some of my ales . By attempting to brew at those temps for some ales you end up introducing esters and flavours that can ultimately spoil the overall flavour of the beer .
Those esters in a wheat beer aren't half bad.

I'd be wary of chilling it down too fast after rising to 21C. You may wind up shocking the yeast into inactivity.

Apparently if you have the temp around those numbers you will end up with a big banana ester and less of the clove . What I am trying to do is get a nice balance of both , so by lowering the ferment temp to around 16 - 17 * C I will have a better balance of flavours . Personally I would not attempt to brew any higher than 20*C with some of my ales . By attempting to brew at those temps for some ales you end up introducing esters and flavours that can ultimately spoil the overall flavour of the beer .

Cheers
Beerbelly

P.S. I am no expert but if you do some reading about temp control of yeast you will find a $!#t load of info as to why yeast reacts differently to higher or lower temps . :lol:

Fair enough, I just don't see the point in using a yeast designed for temps around the 20 to 22 degree mark and then fermenting at a lower temp.

Those esters in a wheat beer aren't half bad.

I'd be wary of chilling it down too fast after rising to 21C. You may wind up shocking the yeast into inactivity.

Well I pulled it out of the fridge and the temp was 12* C and it nope the yeast had not gone to sleep , in fact the krausen was making a mess all over the top of the lid .It is now happily fermenting away at 15* C .

Cheers
Beerbelly :D

My last hefe with WY3068 was done at 17.5C, and it's the best one I've made to date.
It was the first with temperature control, and I'm sure it's made a huge difference to the balance and drinkability of the beer.

Back