Wheat Beer Krausen.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Put down a kit Wheat Beer about seven days ago. My first ever Wheat.

Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Can.
1 Kilo of Dried Wheat Extract.
300 Grams of Honey.
20 Grams of Freshly Crushed Coriander Seed.
40 Grams of Orange and Ginger Marmalade.
10 Grams of German Hallertau at 10 mins.
10 Grams of German Hallertau at flameout.
US 56 yeast, pitched in 23 litres at 20 degrees.

Brewing away at a steady 20 degrees as we speak. After the first day a lovely fluffy Krausen formed. And up until now ( day seven ).......the fluffy Krausen remains unchanged, if not thicker !!

Is this normal ? Its the longest ive ever had one go.

I cant take a taste to see if anything is untoward, as its sitting in a 100 can cooler bag. My fermenter is covered tightly with a film of glad wrap, all smells are good.

Im a bit worried something isnt right.

Heres a photo of the ever growing, seven day old Krausen !!

CrazyKrausen.jpg

RDWHAHB :beer:

It may be that the brew is just fermenting slowly now (due to the honey/marmalade) and the head/krauesen refuses to quit, or that the US56 acts this way with wheat malt.

I'd have used US hops with this yeast, but U prob can't go wrong coz it's a wheat beer: the most adaptable on the planet.

Best of luck and keep us up to date. I'd only worry if the airlock aroma smells off.

Beerz
Seth :p

RDWHAHB :beer:

I'd only worry if the airlock aroma smells off.

Beerz

Very curious as to the RDWHAHB stands for Seth.........went over my head !! :blink:

Smells from the wort are good, as far as i can tell. Only faint, but good.

I recently did a Hefiwizen Paleman, and the krausen ended up overflowing my fermenter ( 18L or wort and 12L of headspace ).

70% Wheat Malt
20% Pilsner Malt
10% Cara Munich

That was using Wyeast 3068 at 18C, so I think that these wheat beers are in a class of there own as far as the krausen is concerned. From memory it did pretty much last through all the way through the primary.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this stage.

"Very curious as to the RDWHAHB stands for"

Relax, Dont Worry, Have A Home Brew

I recently did a Hefiwizen Paleman, and the krausen ended up overflowing my fermenter ( 18L or wort and 12L of headspace ).

70% Wheat Malt
20% Pilsner Malt
10% Cara Munich

That was using Wyeast 3068 at 18C, so I think that these wheat beers are in a class of there own as far as the krausen is concerned. From memory it did pretty much last through all the way through the primary.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this stage.

No worries Chris, thats heartning to know.

I want this one to work well, as a partial Wheat Beer is on the cards, if i like the style.

Paleman,...surely you've heard of the saying: Relax, don't worry, have a home brew"? :huh:

Propagated and probably coined by Charlie Papazian.

If not, I'd recommend some web searching.

Beerz

"Very curious as to the RDWHAHB stands for"
Relax, Dont Worry, Have A Home Brew

Duh !! Of course, silly me. :huh:

I am actually. ( having a homebrew ) :D

Just a quick update, i racked this one this morning after the krauesen had dissapated @ 1012 sg.

A brand new krausen has formed........and it aint a small one either !! :blink:

Is this thing crazy :ph34r: :blink:

Well the above beer has been bottled for 5 days, and i just cracked the first.

Wow !!! :blink: ........what a beauty. I'm stoked beyond belief. :super:

It actually tastes quite proffesional. Nearly as good as the Hoegaarden, Schofferhofer and Weihenstephaner that i sampled last week.

Its got that wheat beer character, im hooked. :p

These points need to be changed.

a} I will use a liquid wheat yeast next time.
b} I will drop the honey, as its dried the beer out, it needs to be a touch creamier.
c} I will mash some grains, maybe to replace the kit, or maybe to compliment the kit, im not sure yet. As the Morgans Wheat kit is obviously very good.

If i can improve on the beer ive just made, well im in heaven.

Thanks Bra-Lover and Seth, i think you blokes have just converted another brewer, to a wheat beer monster. :party:

Latest posts

Back