Wheat beer fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to add a question to this post as I'm also brewing a wheat beer.
My gravity reading at the moment is 1.010 but the beer is kind of bubbling a fair bit I'm my hydrometer test tube. Just wondering if this is normal. It's been brewing for about 8 days I assume from the reading I have that it's finished but just wanted to know why it's fizzing.

I've had 'em do that too, there's usually residual c02 left in your beer post-fermentation...I had a beer get to FG and it had stopped bubbling...I carried the fermenter into my laundry to start bottling, and 5 minutes later the airlock started bubbling again. It happens.

If 1010 is your expected FG, and it's been static for a couple of days, it's ready to bottle.

Oh sweet thanks for that Carnie. It's been at that reading for a couple of days. I did add finnings to it which after some reading this may have been a mistake. Plus the krausan hasn't settled the bottom yet. Do you think that would be a problem when bottling?

Hopefully you swirled it a bit when you added the finings. Put it somewhere warmish for 2-3 days and you will be laughing. The 2-3 days is to let the finings work, and - if you stirred it - to make sure that the yeasties eat all the sugary goodness.

Adding finings is not necessarily a mistake, but I wouldn't have bothered with a wheat beer...assuming you mean a weizen style beer, such as a hefe or a dunkel. They're meant to be served cloudy, with the yeast in suspension, so finings kind of defeat the purpose.

Don't worry about the krausen not having settled, it's the hydro readings that tell you all you need to know.

Just wanted report that I don't think I will be brewing another wheat for a while, too tart n clovey for me, not my kind of beer at all!

Tart and clovey? That's not my impression of a good wheat beer. Try Schoferhofer Hefeweizen. You can get it at Dans for about $5 for 500ml. It's my favourite wietbier. See what you think in comparison.

slcmorro said:
Tart and clovey? That's not my impression of a good wheat beer. Try Schoferhofer Hefeweizen. You can get it at Dans for about $5 for 500ml. It's my favourite wietbier. See what you think in comparison.

Was thinking the same thing, I'm currently sipping on a hefe fermented with WB06 and it's lovely, slightly fruity maybe bannana type aroma and really dry finishing, not clovey or tart at all, an absolute quaffer.

That said, it's not a style I'll brew often, just something I enjoy a keg of every now and then,

The yeast you use makes all the difference. Tartness is determined by yeast. WB06 is fairly mild as far as esters are concerned. I kind of fancy Coopers bottle yeast as a wheat beer yeast with nice ester profile.

Back