Whats Your Favourite Part Of The Brewing Process?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was almost over brewing until I got my new HLT. Its got a 1750W element that gets my water to strike temp in about 60mins. Now that the brewery is complete I love,
* The smell of cracking 6 - 10 kgs of fresh grain
* The dough in. There is nothing better than pumping in the strike water then dumping in the grain and hitting with my industrial size paint stirer
*That last little bit of the sparge when the pump starts to suck air and you look into the boiler to see the boil volume is perfect
*Adding hops is a high light
*Recirculating the mash and boil. There a new found pleasure there too now that I have a March pump.
*pumping to the fermenter and relising that there is plenty of volume and the OG is spot on. :super:
*Its not really part of the brewing process but thejob is not complete until you see the first bit of Krusen starting to form and knowing that the yeast is about to go nuts :ph34r:

I guess you could say I love it all.

Steve

The smell of freshly cracked Munich malt and hops hitting the boiler always does it for me.

Having everything turn out OK when you've made stuffups is always nice.

And of course, the drinking is the best part, especially when you've nailed a recipe.

I have a few...

1. Mash in (duh :p )
2. Smell of each hop addition as you add it to the wort - the first lot of hop-infused steam is intoxicating!
3. Seeing the krausen appear after freaking out about a yeast culture not kicking off as fast as you hoped
4. Sipping on a coffee while firing up the HLT early on a sunny weekend morning (some may beg to differ on this one! ;) )

3. Seeing the krausen appear after freaking out about a yeast culture not kicking off as fast as you hoped

Sending MMS pics when the thing finally fires. :lol: :p

There's a little old moll in all of us... Just wish my Ringwood would hurry up and fire. :blink:

Warren -

Dipping my finger in the mash from time to time and tasting the ever increasing sweetness ;)

Sending MMS pics when the thing finally fires. :lol: :p

There's a little old moll in all of us... Just wish my Ringwood would hurry up and fire. :blink:

Warren -

:lol: I've only done that once!!

R&D on recipes.
+1 for the mash in.
The vat of wort ready for the boil.
Sitting down after the clear up and seeing finished cubes of hot wort.
Krausen.

Yep, alright I can't narrow down my choice of favourite bits, but definitely not any part that involves cleaning. :p

:lol: I've only done that once!!

Not as bad as me... I MMS pics of beer to frustrated brewers in traffic. We know who he is TD. :lol: :lol:

A mini version of "What's in your Glass".

Warren -

recirculating the mash until the wort comes clear ,

reminds me bizzare pleasure gained from backwashing the pool filter and seeing the water change from Murky to clear :blink:

Pumpy :)

When I have no more beer left <_<

Then I have to get my ass into gear and get brewing.

cheers
johnno

Now this might seem mighty strange but I really love drinking the decanted starter liquid. I'm even considering brewing a small batch of unhopped ale, though I have a feeling it might not be the same.

Now this might seem mighty strange but I really love drinking the decanted starter liquid. I'm even considering brewing a small batch of unhopped ale, though I have a feeling it might not be the same.

Kook , you may need councelling for your favourite part of the brewing process. :blink:

Pumpy :)

:huh: :blink:

I'm another fan of the mash-in, followed in a close second place by the boiling.

Just love the taste of the "brewer's breakfast"... :beerbang:

WJ

The boil, yep its gotta be the boil. There is something about AG brewing, you know, the aroma of the grain and then WAM! the hops go in. The old 30 by 20 shed is a great place on brew day. Then the aroma drifts around, and the neighbours call over and b4 you know you have one big Sat arvo piss up. Then you sit back and ponder, what are the rich people up to. :p

BYB

For me its anything to do with the smells and tastes, but the most favourite is drinking it and having the boys come over them bringing a 6 pack and leaving with it again because mine tastes so much better.

JCG

Well I was reading in one of Michael Jackson's books that De Konnicks is often served
with a shot glass of yeast from the brewery. Ewwww!

Back