Whats Your Cost Of Hb Per Stubbie?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine calculating how much you paid for the fish you caught on your last fishing trip.

That's just what my father says about his annual fishing trips out of Darwin and beyond. They always bring back a box of fillets, about 20kg. Sometimes, on the bigger trips that Barramundi and Coral Trout works out at around $250 per kilo.
Spendy, eh?

I'm spending $25 to $60 per batch, 15-23 litres. So anything from $4/L to $1/L. Three stubbies to a litre, sort of.

Of course having just spent over a grand on a kegging setup, it will take a while to get my ROI.

But your next 3 batches may smell of tomato :icon_vomit:

Water Bath Canning involves boiling jars, not boiling tomatoes ;)

She used my 20L Big W pot to make I dunno, 11L of tomato pastes and stuff, from our veggie garden. Then we boiled the jars for about 2 hours submerged in water for 2+ hours and Kettle No Chilled.

Last time the Big W pot did not smell of tomatoes, after I PBWed the burnt on tomato stuff off it, and no tomatoes to contaminate the big pot.

BUT she is eyeing my 100L pot to can the results of the 50L tomato boil down from the next harvest ;)

Funnily enough, I use SWMBOs vac sealer more than she does

I have so far convinced my missus that the house needed:
A carbon/ sedimen water filter
A vacuum sealer
Accurate kitchen scales
A turkey baster (for extracting yeast cake)
The entire underneath of our house to be converted into a brewery

You just have to be able to sell it in... Keeps the cost way down...

Heres another angle on this, going by the numbers quoted here the government make more money out of excise per litre/bottle/whatever for a commercial beer then it cost a homebrewer to make it. Off course homebrewers value their time at zero dollars per hour and this is were the biggest saving in homebrewing is moreso then not paying excise.
Being ingredients cost more for the homebrewer then you don't save any money from the raw material costs in making beer yourself. I mention this because people are quoting cost as raw ingredients but in an ironic twist this is something you are not saving money on, your saving costs in the two biggest cost in brewing, labour and excise.

I don't care how much I spend on beer, or cociane and hookers for that matter as its the only money I spend that is not wasted.

I don't really pay any attention to how much it costs per bottle. I enjoy the process and the product and that is enough for me. It also gives me valuable time away from the text books. What I do save per bottle would get spent on equipment (and then some).

Good beer from the bottle shop: $25
Drinking your own hand crafted ales: priceless.

JD

I actually worked this out including everything, labour, cost of my rig amortised over 2 years etc.

My beer would have to sell for $48 a longneck to make 30% profit.

Pretty sure the last beer brewed worked out to be around 22c a stubbie (330mL), but before that came a Belgian worth at least 5 times that much, a mead and a red wine worth at least twice that much.
Still, cheaper than commercial stuff...

I don't care how much I spend on beer, or cociane and hookers for that matter as its the only money I spend that is not wasted.

:icon_chickcheers: Hahaha Too right Jayse!

Personally, i wouldnt give a toss if my HB cost me $2 a stubby, I dont brew to save money, I brew because i love doing it, I love drinking the end result and looking back and saying "Yep, i did that, and started with ~30L of water straight from the tap" Tweaking recipes, ******* about, i love every aspect of it - except for cleaning the keggle :blink:

Not to mention, If i didnt brew, i wouldnt fulfil my work days on here and BA, reading, printing recipes yadda yadda... hahaha... Not to mention, my fridge sexes up my shed :beerbang:

My average is probably around $15-20 per 15-20 litres. So $1 per litre/33c per stubby.

This varies by style obviously. That costing is for all grain brewing.

On a side note, when I started brewing a few years ago I did it purely as a cost saving measure. At that time I was buying supermarket K and K's and my record was:

Homebrand Kit - Clearance at $3

1kg Dextrose - $3

= $6 for 23 litres... 26c per litre... 9c per stubby!!!!!

My average is probably around $15-20 per 15-20 litres. So $1 per litre/33c per stubby.

On a side note, when I started brewing a few years ago I did it purely as a cost saving measure. At that time I was buying supermarket K and K's and my record was:

Homebrand Kit - Clearance at $3

1kg Dextrose - $3

= $6 for 23 litres... 26c per litre... 9c per stubby!!!!!

Hehe, aren't the bottles worth more than that in SA?

Hehe, aren't the bottles worth more than that in SA?

LOL yeah 10c I think.

So, If I had lived in SA at that time, and reused old stubbys from a retail carton, then returned the bottles, I could have been paid to brew and drink the batch!

(1c per stubby tho, and I'm pretty sure petrol to the bottle depot would have wiped that out :D)

Damn that's cheap. My all grain ends up about $1.70 a pint, no complaints here though

Brewing your own beer is false economy. I justified a lot of purchases to SWMBO based on economy.

Then...

a) you drink twice as much cause it's awesome beer and you have heaps of it.
B) you give litre upon litre away to anyone and everyone cause you're so proud of it and want others to enjoy your hobby
c) you keep looking at upgrading your system to increase (efficiency, ease, output)

So, you might be making your beer for $1 a litre (most of mine are about this) but the costs should never be calculated and relied on - that takes all the fun out of it :beer:

Just done a quick calc on what my next APA will cost approx

13kg grain @ $3/kg (I pay less than this but it allows for incidentals)

440g of hops @ $30

$69 for 60L of 1.055 wort with 43 ibu

Yeast will be more or less free.

so under 70 cents a pint for a beer I would be paying over $10 pint at a good bar.

Funny thing is thats not why I brew.

Cheers

The cheapest beer I think I've ever made was a mid Aussie Lager (surprise, surprise ... CHEAP PISS!).

Looking at about $7 for 20L.

Or about 7.5c per stubbie.

Most expensive would be a Belgian Dark Strong.

Latest posts

Back