What's wrong with this picture?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ein stein

Reaction score
Hi guys,
not a trick question, I just need a second or third opinion.
So what's wrong in this picture?

Cheers
IMG_3344.JPG

*edit: grammar

I give up... :unsure:
or to take another guess are you wondering how to make it seal? Yeah I wandered that with my thermometer for the keggle. You need stainless steel and rubber washers that don't come with it. Stuffed if I know why they don't come with it.

Danscraftbeer said:
I give up... :unsure:
or to take another guess are you wondering how to make it seal? Yeah I wandered that with my thermometer for the keggle. You need stainless steel and rubber washers that don't come with it. Stuffed if I know why they don't come with it.
What Dan said. I complained about this when I bought mine, you need to buy extra stainless and rubber washers.

seems like stainless to me, not worried about that.

Here's a hint

the red lines are parallel

paralell.jpg

IMG_3345.JPG

So the bar wasn't centered when the thread was cut?, is that what we are getting at here?

Send it back or 2x your seals to take up the gap..

Yeah now I remember. That washer that comes with it is for the inside. You need another steel (with larger hole) and rubber washer for the outside. Also I wrapped the but of the thread with rubber weld tape before fitting it in. Then it doesn't leak.

The pics are all oriented correctly? i.e craning of the neck not required,

There's nothing wrong.

It's a BSP tapered thread, designed to seal with PTFE tape.

Thanks guys, to me It just feels wrong, the washer they supplied doesn't fit to the base of the thread and the nut only fastens half way down. So to make it work i need to file out the inside of the washer, pack it out with more of my own washers and tape the hell out of it. Whoever invented standardised tapered thread is a jerk but i will confirm with supplier if this is actually made to spec.

Ps the pic is oriented correctly, it is a weldless thermo placed face down on a flat surface taken side on with a tripod. also im pretty certain it is not brass, that's probably just the lighting in the photograph.

and as I recall there is no installation instructions either. So its one of those (figure it out for yourself) products... :rolleyes:

Danscraftbeer said:
and as I recall there is no installation instructions either. So its one of those (figure it out for yourself) products... :rolleyes:
As with anything to do with building your own brew rig. I would probably rather just make it work than to deal with returning / getting a replacement. But yeah, I still can't get my head around why tapered thread would be used for this or why it should even exist in the first place.

Hpal said:
Tapered threads are excellent, they seal well.
If used for the right purpose, i.e. thick walled tubing or heat/cooling jackets, not thin walled stainless vessels using nuts & washers, sure you can make them work, more likely too leak.

Tapered threads are designed to fit other tapered threads. They act like a wedge, so the tighter they are done up the better they seal. A parallel thread will never 'bottom out' so there needs to be something else to form a seal. Doing a tapered thread up to a straight thread will result in it catching on one end of the thread than across the whole thing, so is less effective and can be frustrating to orient how you want it. Nothing a lot of thread tape can't fix however.

I remember having to customise a washer for the outside. (the washer needed, ~ 2mm thick) Dremmiled out the washer hole until it was a neat fit with the butt of the thread. I feel the washer on the outside is needed (to pack it out) and because the more you tighten the more the bevelled edge of that hex nut will flange the hole through the kettle wall. No matter how hard you tighten it will not seal. Or if you use lots of sealing tape it wont last long before heat/cool shrinkage will lead to it leaking again.
2c.
So me too don't understand the tapered thread is wrong!, just wrong!!! :p

Latest posts

Back