What's With The Distinctive Flavour/aroma? In German Lagers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

was looking at this schedule today for either a lager or a pils I'm planning, Just wondering what the purpose of doughing in at 35C and then ramping up to 52C? Could you dough in at 52C or would you miss something vital?

Only ask, as I'll probably have to use hot water infusions, and I'm limited with my current 25L mash tun.

Cheers

Hi,

was looking at this schedule today for either a lager or a pils I'm planning, Just wondering what the purpose of doughing in at 35C and then ramping up to 52C? Could you dough in at 52C or would you miss something vital?

Only ask, as I'll probably have to use hot water infusions, and I'm limited with my current 25L mash tun.

Cheers
Hi there,
doughing in at 35C is meant to get a better solution of the enzymes, so is written in some of our brewing books, although I dont take it very accurate.
I think there will not be any issue doughing in at 52C as Im doing so sometimes too. So far I couldnt notice any differences.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

I got my hands on some melanoidn grain today and am going to use about 300gms of it with my other ingredients. I have read different opinions on the melaniodon addition, so i there is anyone out there that disagrees or agrees I'll be interested to hear from you.

I have also checked out some other recipes and, in regards to step mashing my grain, I have decided to mash in at 55-60deg, rest at hopefully 50deg for 20 mins then bring the temp up to around 63-64 deg for 60 mins for a slightly drier finish.

I have limited time so I am trying to keep my mashing times down. so I thought this mash shedule is a compromise.
Will see how it turns out

Another point of view is, that many brands are brewed under license at different places, you should have an eye on it. For example if you gonna buy a Fosters here in G, certainly its brewed in South Germany under license. I can hardly believe its made by original ingredients from Australia.

Not to stray too far off topic: but does a German Fosters taste any good?

I know the Heineken brewed locally under license tastes like crap, while I used to not mind the imported version as far as mega swill goes.

Not to stray too far off topic: but does a German Fosters taste any good?
I dunno, I couldnt find any Fosters in Australia, so I have no comparison of it. The Fosters that is sold here in Germany is not my taste, not at all.

So the Question is, do beers brewed under license taste equal to the original ones? Im doubting.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Beers brewed under liscence in aus taste just like the main stream beer that comes from the same brewery :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back