Whats This Smell In My Primary When Fermenting A Lager With S23 @12 De

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Firstly sorry I have not been online for a while i have been very busy setting up my home brew shop here in port pirie to service this area .

I decided to do a brew at the shop and thought a bavarian lager would be nice as it is cold and i wanted to try a lager yeast s23 at 12-14 degrees c .Ok the first day of fermentation was all well and the smaell via the air lock was realy nice but the second day in i opened the shop and the shop smelt like rotten egg farts so i thought bloody hell whats that smell comming from? as i approched the bubbling air lock and took a whiff of the bubble i was horrified at the sulphurdioxide smell comming out of the air lock.
after reading a bit about lager yeast the docs i have say that they do give off this sulphury stuff but after bottel conditioning it dissappears.
now to all the brewers out there has this or is this normal when fermenting a lager at low temps . I know it is probablly a dumb question but being the well seasoned ale brewer and never doing a real lager before with lager yeast at lager temps is this worth the worry or is this normal with this yeast saflager s23??

any feed back would be great .
delboy :beer:

RELAX its normal.
rack to 2ndarywhen primary is over.
Sulphur will dissipate and leave you with a clean profile. :chug:

Heheheheh
had the same thing happen to me first up.
Just ensure a good diacethyl rest and hope its onlY thAT

Delboy, I stank my house a couple of weeks ago with a lager releasing a toxic cloud from our laundry into our lounge room. Wife eventually put her foot down and demanded I take the 44l litre fermeter out to the shed. I bottled it today and it still has that rotten egg gas aroma but it is much dissapaited and will dissapear with some conditioning.

Floculator

Tim

ok guys thanks. that is reassuring .now the next stupid question is what is and do ?( the diacethly rest) i think thats right.
would this be correct after the primary has finished put into secondary under airlock cold condition for a few weeks then bring it out and let it sit at room temp before bulk priming and bottling?

or what would be the routine here?

or don,t worry about it at all?

thanks del :beer:

Just raise the temp to above 18C for 2 days to say goodbye to the diacetyl.

Then rack again if necessary and cold condition close to zero celsius.

...and there ya go - lager!

Seth out

thank you for your help with this not ever doing a lager before as i love my ales the help was straight to the point and helpfull will do more now ready for summer .
i will attempt a Morgans golden saaz czech pilsner next with a ezybrewin brewmaster artois kit with the extra saaz hops any suggestions on the yeasts? will use a wyeast slap pack belgian pils i think?.

as it is cold here in Port Pirie and fermenter temps sit around the 12-15 mark i belive this is perfect.

any suggestions

thanks Delboy :beer:

hehe i remember one day we had people here that we wanted to leave so i opened up the firmenter fridge with a lager brewing with 34/70 in it.

Everyoun went......ooowwwwww whats that smell.

I told them it was my brew and i was going to get it out and play with it now.

they upped and fled :)

hehe

as stated above..... raise to 18 or so and then chill it for a few weeks.

It will clear out and become smooth and lovly.

Aparently the s23 is a bit fruity, i used it a couple of times a few years back and didnt like it much. The 34/70 is nice though.

Just my opinion :)

let us know how it goes.

cheers

is the 34/70 wet or dry yeast? doah! I should know that question but have left yeast sheet and specs at shop.
ummmm beershop.

thanks tony
and all delboy :beer:

excuse me for sounding critical but your starting a home brew shop and you dont know if 34/70 is a dry or liquid yeast ????

Its a dry yeast but also has a liquid wyeast equivilent (cant recal the number right now).

the w34/70 will produce a finer lager that s23 IMO but there are some great liquid yeasties out there :)

mate i suport you in your venture..... the more HB shops out there the better but maybe you should do some more research first.

People are going to come in to your shop and ask questions about brewing. lots of questions.

Be prepared for that is all im saying.

good luck and all sucess with the brew shop mate. Good to see someone having a go.

cheers

tony

re Sulphur smells

Better out than in (your beer) I always say... ;)

Goose

shrek_6.jpg

yeh tony your right was having a senior moment mate saf 34/70 what a silly question i have them in the shop.

you are right lots of questions wich is okay i can answer most and if i get stuck well i will find out as help is only a phone call away at any time so it is a great learning curve. and a very enjoyable business and i am glad this site is here as well because with the thousans of years combined knowledge hear it great to have this at my finger tips.

thanks all

delboy :beer:

G'day Dellboy, a couple of minor points of clarification if I may...

The lager yeast strain you used is most likely the Wissenschaftliche 34/70 dry yeast strain that is also packaged by Wyeast as their 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast strain in liquid form...The generally accepted Whitelabs equivalent is the WLP830 German Lager strain. It's a nice lager strain and does a good job, IMHO.

The Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) rotten eggs smell is a common byproduct of cold lager fermentation and it tells me that the fermentation is doing well! It will dissipate over time and further lagering and it's not the same thing as diacetyl.
Diacetyl is most commonly detected as a butterscotch flavour in beer and is also readily removed with a 2 - 3 day rest at room temp between the fermentation and lagering of the beer. If you want more on diacetyl, you might want to read a rant of mine elsewhere!! Click here...
Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back