What's The Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumoasta

Reaction score
I've read many suggestions on this site recommending to throw away the Coopers kit yeast for a better dry yeast. My question is what exactly is wrong with the Coopers dry ale yeast (the one which comes with the Original series, and some of the International series)? Does this yeast give off bad flavours or something, or is it just that the treatment of the yeast (ie. storage temperature) could have impacted is performance/health? I don't have a sophisticated palate, but I've used this yeast twice and the beers tasted fine.

the main reasons are that for 23lts of wort you should pitch about 12g or healthy dried yeast. The packs being only 6g (from memory) mean that its already underpitched by half. The other fact is that the cans sit on the shelf at what ever temp where good yeast is stored at about 4c to make sure the viability is as good as it can be

the main reasons are that for 23lts of wort you should pitch about 12g or healthy dried yeast. The packs being only 6g (from memory) mean that its already underpitched by half. The other fact is that the cans sit on the shelf at what ever temp where good yeast is stored at about 4c to make sure the viability is as good as it can be

Ok, thanks! On a side note, what are the signs of underpitching?

My palate must be like yours...unrefined. I regularlarly pitched 3 packs of Coopers yeast (7g each) per 23 litre brew, and it comes up trumps (to my uneducated tastes)

Ok, thanks! On a side note, what are the signs of underpitching?

Off pat opening a 7 grm packet instead of 12 grm packed is a heads up :)

My experience is the time it takes to start fermenting visually with a 7 grm packet is anywhere from 1 day to 2 days, maybe 3. I am to believe the yeast is busy multiplying and growing before eating the sugarz thus stressed little yeasties they are. Pitching more or healthy yeast means a faster start to ferment and a healthier yeast count. I use US05 a lot and re use it over and over and within an hour it's fermenting hard out from a repitch or 'ontop' of previous trub depending on my yeast cycle.

I've found no problem using the packet yeast if you keep your temps under control. I always have heaps of this stuff laying around and when and if i do use it i'll usually thow 1 or two packets in. I find that it will start doing it's thing within a few hours and I'm mostly pitching at about 18 or below. I find the yeast inoffensive and clean if treated with care.

Latest posts

Back